Headlight Misting

jono888

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Just noticed this last night after a long night of tunnel run and morning drive back home this morning that my headlights were misting up halfway the headlights both sides.

Is this a matter of just resealing the sealants?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
They all seem to do this, a lot of people take the light fixture out the back to let the moisture out on a warm day.

Still comes back again eventually, lol

madrab

Advanced Member
i don't think the problem is down to the sealant, more often or not its down to poor fitted hid or sometimes the rubber grommets have fallen off the bottom

zetec

i have the same problem with my left light..what i done was turned on my full lights and got a hair drier to the light and it just evaporates away..but comes back eventually

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I think the heat from the lights just condenses the air that gets in there, they are not completely sealed units, so it always comes back.

You get it mostly on a cold morning/evening.

Mine has been doing it for as long as I can remember (even when it was just 10k miles old)

nellly

Advanced Member
i only get this on one of my headlights, i thought i may be able to fix this but your comments dont inspire me to much :(

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
hmm so no one knows how to actually fix this? lo
they are not completely sealed units, so it always comes back.
^ This.

They are open to atmosphere and are suppsed to do it. Honda themselves allow for 20% moisture/condensation.

I bought a brand new set from Honda, and they started to mist after the weather started going up and down.

If the moisture doesn't dissipate, then as suggested, remove on a warm day and use a hair dryer to dry them out.

But they will always do it.

Hope this helps!

Phil

jono888

Advanced Member
ahhh well at least I know it happens for everyone and that its something that is supposed to happen :D I won't worry about it too much then :) Thanks Phil!

The-Game

I get the same on mine in the cold evenings now it goes foggy all across the bottom of the lens, someone said try putting the silica gel packets into the lens?? Anyone tried this?

ekg

Advanced Member
Ive tried the silica gel. 3-4 in each side but it doesn't get rid of the fogging. It may reduce it slightly although its hard to tell.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Iv never tried this but my friend who is a mechanic told me a few months back if u spray wd40 inside the light thats stop condensation from building up sounds weird but he swears by it

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I put silica bags in mine, threaded with string so I could remove them easily. Left them in there for a few days, got rid of a LOT! But the lights aren't actually completely sealed and will mist up again eventually, annoying but true.

Modmedia

Advanced Member
Took mine out while my car was away for an engine swap. Removed the covers.. left them in my room beside the radiator for around 2 weeks. Sealed them up, again inside, and fitted them on again and it hasn't been back since! :)

Hello Guys,

same here....when i bought the vehicle and take it for a spin on a cold night i sadly noticed this mist inside the light....I was going mad and next day morning
i call a friend of mine who works in HONDA Cyprus and told me there is nothing to worry about.
Its the weather's fault. High temperature inside and low outside make this fogging to appear.

Riz

Advanced Member
Modmedia said:
Took mine out while my car was away for an engine swap. Removed the covers.. left them in my room beside the radiator for around 2 weeks. Sealed them up, again inside, and fitted them on again and it hasn't been back since! :)
What did you use to seal the light? :)

dave c

400hp K20
Modmedia said:
DIY guide please ;)