Headlight out.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Prefacelift offside low beam out. I've had a look and after removing the power steering bottle I can get into it. There's a grey coloured screw off cap which has a lug secured with a torx headed screw.

There's no pull off electrical feed that I can see of.

Anyone done one, if so any idea please of what I'm going to find in there and how to deal with it.

From what I've read it should be a D2R replacement bulb. If it's not the bulb, it's down to my mates garage.
Thanks in anticipation.

Regards. Granty.

wocka

Advanced Member
Yes they are D2R bulbs

I think you will really struggle without taking the bumper off and the light out

Have a look on wocks second dc5. There is a guide on there on how to remove the bumper and change the bulb

Have a look and see if you can do it without the bumper off once you see how it‘s done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Went to her this morning intending to sort that bulb out. Had a daft idea. Pulled back on the headlight flasher and everything worked. Did this several times. Low beam bulbs cracked into life each time with no flicker.

Iv'e never had the car out in the dark or bad weather for months. I only check the lights at MOT time, which is first week in Feb.

Could be a ballast fault. Anyone know if theres a fault code generated for a faulty ballast.

Regards Granty.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
No fault codes generated, no. You can remove the grey cap torx screw fairly easily, once removed the cap quarter turns (can‘t remember which direction) and then the lamp connector and spring clip is underneath. It‘s fiddly but can be done in situe. Easiest thing to change first is the lamp (d2r) and rule that our first... failing that the bumper will need to be removed to gain access to the ballast situated under the headlight itself. I‘d recommend changing both at once to save disappointment in a few months time when the other side goes.

Good luck,

Regards James

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
No fault codes generated, no. You can remove the grey cap torx screw fairly easily, once removed the cap quarter turns (can‘t remember which direction) and then the lamp connector and spring clip is underneath. It‘s fiddly but can be done in situe. Easiest thing to change first is the lamp (d2r) and rule that our first... failing that the bumper will need to be removed to gain access to the ballast situated under the headlight itself. I‘d recommend changing both at once to save disappointment in a few months time when the other side goes.

Good luck,

Regards James

Hi.

Thanks for the info. Thats the way I was thinking. Does that security torx remove clockwise or anti. Iv'e read differing accounts.

Regards.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Just like a Norma screw, anti clockwise. The cap however I can‘t remember. It should have a directional arrow on it. It‘s stiff mind. Warm your hands up first. Haha one slip and you‘ll know about it.

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Said this a few times on here. Check the wiring on the ballasts. The wires had come loose on mine. As soon as they were reseated the lights worked properly. Did this about 4 years ago and I've never had a problem since.

Easiest was is your whip the bumper and lights out to do this

Jack

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Update.

Bulbs and ballasts swapped over and and they all work. My mechanic mate has stuck with it all day and tomorrow he's going to start checking the wiring.

He's found a rogue purple coloured wire taped along the wiring loom to the non working drivers side hid.

He's been at it on and off all day and is going to have a fresh look on tomorrow.

Iv'e not been round to have a look at what he's found so I can't help any further. Please contribute If you have an idea why that extra wire has been plumbed in.

Regards. Granty.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

My man has just been on with pictures. He's sorted it. He hasn't elaborated as to how he manged it. Will report back.

Regards.

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi again.

Update.

For some reason an extra wire had been soldered into the wiring loom of the ballast connector. Unfortunately it was only taped up. It was manky and black.

It's now properly connected and shrink wrapped. Im the only UK owner so it's a Japanese issue. We have no idea why it's been done.

Suffice to say everything works and Its passed it's MOT.

Regards. Granty.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
Hi again.

Update.

For some reason an extra wire had been soldered into the wiring loom of the ballast connector. Unfortunately it was only taped up. It was manky and black.

It's now properly connected and shrink wrapped. Im the only UK owner so it's a Japanese issue. We have no idea why it's been done.

Suffice to say everything works and Its passed it's MOT.

Regards. Granty.
Someone should ban them from wiring anything on cars. Jap wiring is the worst I've ever seen haha.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk