Headlights - Help with removing HID Igniter

danr19

Advanced Member
Good evening....My car is having some work done and the headlights are being swapped out for new ones at the same time.
For those that have changed their headlights, is there a certain knack to taking the HID igniter out? The guy in the garage can't seem to do it easily and obviously doesn't want to force anything and break it. It passes right through the headlight, but there's a large grommet to one side and what looks like a sealed unit to the other end, both stopping it from coming out easily.

It's part 12 here:

1638910727691.png

And pictured below:

1638910787708.png
1638910918425.png

1638910959169.png

I was wondering if maybe the igniter comes apart, or perhaps something else needs to be removed first?

Any guidance would be very much appreciated

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Following! I have my headlights to do soon, too. Wasn’t aware of anything too tricky, guides I’ve read make it look easy tbh!
great post tho with good photos and diagram, here’s hoping someone responds soon!

VtecPaul

Advanced Member
Having looked on eBay for referenced, there seems to be both HID cables with and without the grommet attached - not sure if this helps tho!

JordanSuth

Advanced Member
Interested to know this too as I have my new FL lights ready to swap over.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

danr19

Advanced Member
I ended up smashing my old headlights apart which also wasn't easy.
Did you manage to get the igniters fitted through the new lights? I'm assuming it's equally as hard to get them back in?

The garage have done a lovely job polishing the old lights up so it would be a shame to smash them up

Last edited:

danr19

Advanced Member
Having looked on eBay for referenced, there seems to be both HID cables with and without the grommet attached - not sure if this helps tho!
Maybe it's a case of buying non - oem ones without the grommet so they can be fitted to the new lights easily. Or I wonder if the grommet end plug can be taken apart and then put back together.

I haven't got the lights so I can't have a proper look. I'm planning on getting them on the weekend, although from what Lemons said, I don't think they're built to come apart!

Lemons

Advanced Member
Did you manage to get the igniters fitted through the new lights? I'm assuming it's equally as hard to get them back in?

The garage have done a lovely job polishing the old lights up so it would be a shame to smash them up
Yeah I did squeezed them in.