Headlights???

Chris-141

Advanced Member
So I first got my dc5 I wet sanded and polished my headlights. The lenses were like brand new again but when on at night the inside part still looked cloudy. So I'm assuming this is the inside part of the lense. Can this be fixed?

Also I changed bulb in one the other day and forgot to put the rubber cap back on (it's on now) but the lights got condensation inside,

So my question is are the lights hard to split? And when split if I sanded and polished the inside part of the lense would it get rid of ye cloudiness when I have the lights on?

Thanks

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
I think the inside of the lens cover is textured so you won't able to be wet sand it. Stand to be corrected though.

Chris-141

Advanced Member
No worries hopefully someone else can shed some light, have managed to dry it out by popping off the rubber cap and leaving my lights on for a while. so it's just the cloudiness on the inside now,

If I can't sort it I'll just buy 2 new lights but hopefully there's a fix for it!

truupR

Advanced Member
Chris-141 said:
No worries hopefully someone else can shed some light, have managed to dry it out by popping off the rubber cap and leaving my lights on for a while. so it's just the cloudiness on the inside now,

If I can't sort it I'll just buy 2 new lights but hopefully there's a fix for it!
you can split the light by putting it in the oven (no joke) on about 100/150c for 10 mins to soften up the glue seal. Here's a post from a guy (Gok) on here that's done it. Going to attempt it with mine tomoz. Sooner or later though you'll need new headlights. If they're the original ones that came with the car then you're just prolonging the inevitably expensive purchase I'm afraid :(

Gok (aka Chinese Adam) said:
Ok! Whether this is the right way or not, this is the way i have done it and had no problems at all...

First of all, take the front bumper off as directed in the 'post' under 'removing front bumper'. There are afew guides on that post.

To remove the light there are two bolts and one screw. Bolt under high beam light and one on top along with the screw. Careful when removing the light as you will need to dis-connect all four of the lights, (HID, high beam, indicator and sidelight).

Once you have taken the light off you then need to dismantle it!! ALL four bulbs need taking out, (dont want them popping in the oven!!) then the HID unit needs taking off. There is also a metal cage that needs taking off.

You should be left with just the light unit itself now, no metal parts.

This is the fun bit!...

Pre-heat the oven to 100-150 degrees C (210-300 F!) Place Headunit into oven. KEEP AN EYE ON IT!!! Should only take 10-15 mins but dont leave it unattended. The glue should start to melt and you should be able to prize it apart from the 'pointy' end of the light, DO NOT TRY AND DO IT FROM THE OTHER SIDE!! It might need a couple more mins then try it again until it fully comes apart being careful not to break the plastic brackets, these will be fragile due to the heat remember!!

Once you have done this, tidy up the glue but do not remove it.

There is a screw in the middle bottom half of the light which will need to be taken off too. Take this peice of plastic out the same way as the cover, carefully and from the 'pointy' end.

Once you have cleaned the unit out then its time to put it back together again. so...

Put the silver part back in and screw it in place.

Then use the sealant, i used Granville black silicone sealant. Im sure there are many other products you could use but this was fine. Go around the black part of the light with the sealant, inside the 'groove' is where you want it. Try to put the light back on clipping it in from the big end and pushing the 'pointy' end in. You wont get it all the way first time, you WILL need to put it back in the oven to soften the old glue and to get a good seal with the new stuff.

After much playing around and burnt fingers you will be ready to re-assemble the light unit putting the bulbs and HID unit back where they came from.

Put the light back in the car and remember to put the connectors back on!!!
Bumper on and your away!! Took me and the missus about 2hours to do. Only my nearside needed doing but im sure it wouldnt take you much longer to do both.

Have fun!! :)

P.S. I do have pictures but i cant seem to upload them!!

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Oven trick - Done this myself be VERY CAREFUL and don't tell the misses lol

It's very messy but doable

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
It is dooable, but it wont last. The UV layer has gone from them, thats why they are cloudy. The sun will only turn them cloudy again in a month or so buddy. New is the only option to keep them looking tip top.

The uv layer you can see on new headlights, its like a purple\rainbow haze. You Can see it if you squat down by the front wing and look across both headlights on a sunny eve.