Headlights

ForgedV

Advanced Member
In the description they're advertised as none (non I'd guess) hid meaning they're not xenon but halogen.

So no good for our cars hence why there for sale I'd imagine.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Thanks for the responses guys - this is why forums are so useful - although in this case there are differing opinions!

The guy told me they were bought from a Honda dealership in Wigan and that they would definitely be fine for the DC5.

Why would Honda make non HID lights for a car that came with them as standard?

Thanks

LiamGTR

Advanced Member
Can't you swap the halogens for HID's as long as it has the ballast? I don't see the issue.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
I've looked into this, and apparently the HID and non HID lights take different bulbs, so no..... but not entirely sure!

ForgedV

Advanced Member
Different bulb holders for different bulbs xenon d2s to h7 halogen for example, also might not have the mounting for the ballast underneath.

Why would they need headlights from a JDM rhd car going to another rhd country? Unless they've had a Acura RSX lhd halogen bulbs? I'm not sure if the RSX has xenon as standard or not.

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
I'm not 100% sure on this but i think the importers take out the hid's to get the car through the IVA then put em back in after.

What about the Hendy ones on the bay HERE out of interest iv'e messaged them whether they come with HID's and ballast.

If i get a reply i'll post...... Unless anyone knows already ;)

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Message I received from Hendy - Thanks for the message.

The lights are not supplied with any of the HID parts.

Many thanks

Nick
Hendy

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Thanks both...!

OK, this is quite annoying. I know I could get the car through the MOT with the HID's in, but the lights are in really bad condition (foggy), and need replacing.

Think I'm going to go down the route of simply replacing with non-HID lights and using halogen.

Has anyone got any experience of doing this, and is it a big job in terms of the wiring etc?

Thanks again

Mark_teg

Staff member
Just swap everything from your current headlights into the new casings.<br />Sorted :)

Topgeezer

Advanced Member
Have you tried one of the headlight cleaners?
I use the magiurs kit on one of my cars and it did the job, polish/wax afterwards.

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Mark_teg said:
Just swap everything from your current headlights into the new casings.<br />Sorted :)
I think this might actually be a more sensible option. I'll probably buy from Hendy's!

Topgeezer said:
Have you tried one of the headlight cleaners?
I use the magiurs kit on one of my cars and it did the job, polish/wax afterwards.
Yeah, I used a Turtle Wax one my EP3 as the lights on that were not good (what is it with Honda's?) and it did work well, but they seemed to start going yellow again soon after.

Can't remember who it was, but someone told me it's due to the deterioration of a protective UV film, and once this has gone then the lights will become misty again faster.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
MaxJ said:
I think this might actually be a more sensible option. I'll probably buy from Hendy's!

Yeah, I used a Turtle Wax one my EP3 as the lights on that were not good (what is it with Honda's?) and it did work well, but they seemed to start going yellow again soon after.

Can't remember who it was, but someone told me it's due to the deterioration of a protective UV film, and once this has gone then the lights will become misty again faster.
Exactly unless you protect it with more UV filter, the Meguiars restoration kit comes with wipes that apply a UV coating to the lense again but im not sure how long it lasts. You could try applying some Naviwax as that has UV protection built in. Once the original UV protection has worn down to a point the plastic degrades and goes cloudy/yellow. The only way to remove it is to wet-sand the lense, the Meguiars kit comes with wet sanding pads to achieve this but to be honest I would just buy some 2500 grit paper from Halfords, then use some Meguiars Ultimate compound or similar to polish back to a shine followed by a wax preferably with UV protection. Ive done this on both my car and my missus car, it took not even 10 minutes per light and still looks great a year later.

Unless the plastic lense is badly scratched I personally think its mad to spend that kind of money on the headlights when you can get as close to a new look with the above method.

Just my opinion, you may have more OCD than me lol

MaxJ

Advanced Member
Thanks, Max big help!

I might give that a go then first! Wasn't aware you could get a wax with UV protection!