Hello fellow Type-R owners

fireball

Hello all! let me introduce myself here, my name's Howie and I'm currently living in Hong Kong. I've had my integra type-r for around 2 months and had just found out about this forum, great place btw! it's hard to find other fellow DC5 owners on the web, seems to be a RSX's...

anyway, if you don't mind, i'd like to tag a question along with this hello... i was driving today with my girlfriend, and she was pissing me off about something :evil: . So, like a stupid guy, i started driving hard and was shifting real hard, suddenly, while shifting into 3rd i "punched through" the end of the gear and seem to have broken something. Now all my "upper position" gears, 1st 3rd 5th, feel "soggy" and can be pushed beyond it's previous point, around 1 inch further, and it has a bit of resistence like a spring is trying to pull me back... did i break something? now the shifter is a little more loose and shifting into those upper gears is not as precise as before, there are now alot more room to wiggle about while traveling into those gears... I have now learnt my lesson... never take my anger out on the car!

anyway, thanks for reading.. hope to read as many posts here as i can, learn something, and maybe try to offer some opinions in the future. :lol:

mikegsi

Staff member
firstly a big hello from here to, although this is a .com site we tend to be mainly filled up with UK owners, however we do have a few from over the water as well....

as for your problem, best thing would be to control your temper, and not to drive like a tit with a lass in the car, but hey, its happened

check your selector as that could be the problem, but you should also check the linkage and make sure it hasnt come loose anywhere, i take it you can still get all the gears without probs, you just have to push a little harder???

another teg site based in HK is

http://www.integrasg.com

:wink:

Duncs

take off the airbox and have a look at the selector mechanism, or take off the centre console and have look at the stick,
its just 2 cables from the stick to the selectors sounds like you have broken something in this area,
let us know what you find,

Evs

Advanced Member
Hi mate, welcome to the site :xwavey:

I'd agree with what Duncs has said. My guess is that you've damaged something in the shifter box under the centre console. The two cables control fore/aft and side to side movement, and the outer cables are held into the plastic casing of the shifter box with spring clips. The ends of the cables fit over pins through the bottom of the lever which are held with split pins. I think you've either sprung the cable outer out of the casing or (worse) cracked the casing itself.

Hope you fix it, and try to be more gentle with the car in future eh?

jonster

Advanced Member
People with sort shifters have been know to have this problem. They have been over keen changing gears and stripped the linkage cable out of it's sheath.

fireball

Hi all, I finally checked my problem with a mechanic and he found out the shifting mechanism underneath the battery (i don't know what it's called, can anyone tell me? :oops: ) has one of the cables bent or broken, so that when I try to shift "up" i.e. 1, 3, 5 gears, the cable's supposed to push up but since it's been compromised it now only bends instead of pushing upwards. shifting to even number gears is fine since that same cable is being pulled downwards, not pushed up. i took some pictures with my phone but i forgot to clean the lens so it's just a foggy mess and it's no point posting it.

anyway my mechanic has ordered a new one from Honda so hopefully I'll get it installed soon. If anyone's interested I will take a photo of that piece before he installs it. Thanks to everyone who helped troubleshoot my problem!

Duncs

glad you got it sorted, its a fairly simple but effective design,
so a cable at the gearbox end,
that will be a first as a defect on here i think,

take it easy next time :wink:

fireball

I forgot to add, to prevent me from shifting too hard and breaking the cable again, my mechanic glued a piece of hard rubber at the base of the shifter, on the upper side.. he cutted it precisely so it provides a "stopper" whenever I shift up. so now there's no more gap between the end of the 1, 3, 5 gears and the wall of the shifter's base.

I'd suggest this "mod" to anyone who has a tendency to shift hard. :eek:

dan the man

Advanced Member
they dont do this stopper for female cervixs do they?

with the missus im changing up too hard and doing damage.. :p

or maybe ill just a get a doughnut.

TOTALLY OT but theres a gag in their somewhere :xgrin: