HELP!…My gears have just vanished.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
I just parked my car at home after reversing into my old space. I got out with the engine still running checking I had got fully back into the space. When I got back in I went to select a gear to find there were none.

The gear stick isn‘t exactly loose but it moves around freely with no hint of any gears even with the engine running.

I had a new clutch last year and recently spent a load on O2 sensor and rear discs + pads etc to get it through an MOT. Now the car is kaput.

Does this sound bad? What‘s likely to have gone wrong here and what‘s it likely to cost me?

JamesSSB

Advanced Member
When you move the gear stick does the selector lever on top of the gearbox move also? Of not your cable may have snapped?
Just a thought.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
i really hope its that simple. i will have a better look in bit. many years ago a similar thing happpened to as metro i had. on that occasion there were a few symptom prior to it going. when it went it happened while i was driving. lost all gears and when i stopped oil was leaking out as the gear box had cracked open. this time no warning, car stationary and no oil so fingers crossed its something simple.

could wheel spinning in snow and using higher than normal gears have caused something to give.

Stoo

Whining.....
anticlaus105 said:
i really hope its that simple. i will have a better look in bit. many years ago a similar thing happpened to as metro i had. on that occasion there were a few symptom prior to it going. when it went it happened while i was driving. lost all gears and when i stopped oil was leaking out as the gear box had cracked open. this time no warning, car stationary and no oil so fingers crossed its something simple.

could wheel spinning in snow and using higher than normal gears have caused something to give.
Wheelspinning could have damaged the diff

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
it could have but is unlikely to have especially in the snow. it is more likely the clip has come off the cable on the box or something has become disconnected

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
I have had a better look at this today. TBH I don‘t really know what I am looking for so took some photo‘s (on my own ATM so can‘t get someone to waggle gear stick while I watch the engine).

I have tried to get under the gear leaver to examine that but am having trouble dismantling the surround. Anyone know how to do this? I tried an adjustable spanner to remove the gear knob but it won‘t budge. As its cold the plastic trim is brittle and I snapped a bit while trying to get it apart. I took some photos of where I am but am unsure if there is a better way to gain access. I don't want to force things the wrong way and break something else.

Looking in the engine bay I am not sure where the gear linkage would insert. I have circled a bit I red that looks like it is in the right sort of place and it doesn‘t seem to have any thing attached.

Can anyone deduce anything from photos or instruct me where to take a better one?

I looked at the RSX manual in the FAQ but I think it just covers automatic. If the info is in there I am not sure where.

Cheers all.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Cheers for that. I did search but couldn't find any info. Looks like I was going in the right direction. I just didn't want to snap anything important. It may be worth heating the car up a bit before I have another play.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
The gearbox linkage selector is underneath the airbox so it will be worth taking this off to check.

licky

I has been know for an induction kit ie Aem short ram and k n filters to bounce on the gear selector and knock of the clips .

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Selecting gears is done with cables rather than a linkage as such.

As mentioned, the cables are attached to the selectors on top of the gearbox (underneath the air box).

It is entirely possible for the pins to come out while driving which can then detach completely from the selector mechanism.

Check this first and report back :)

P.S. You get two thumbs up xthumbsup xthumbsup for describing your problem accurately, using the search function and not expecting to be spoon fed :D

Note: These pictures have been copied from another website and do not belong to me

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Cheers for the above post. Seriously helpful stuff. Below are pics of the under the gear stick. It all looks attached ok.

I don't have too many tools so had a go at removing air box with a drill and 10mm socket. Sadly I lost the socket end into the engine bay. :xmad: Annoyingly I can see where it is but have no chance of getting it. Walked to Tesco to get a socket set and the piece of crap is not fit for purpose. Now misses is back from work will nip out and get a better one.

Just to be a pain in the arse I have posted some pics of the air box and the nuts etc I think need removing to get it out. I don‘t want to start dismantling it just remove it so do they look like the ones that will get it out?

Big cheers for all the help so far.

wantadc5

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
Selecting gears is done with cables rather than a linkage as such.

As mentioned, the cables are attached to the selectors on top of the gearbox (underneath the air box).

It is entirely possible for the pins to come out while driving which can then detach completely from the selector mechanism.

Note: These pictures have been copied from another website and do not belong to me
=D> =D> for the help you're giving mate!! true xmas spirit...!

wantadc5

Advanced Member
anticlaus105 said:
I just parked my car at home after reversing into my old space. I got out with the engine still running checking I had got fully back into the space. When I got back in I went to select a gear to find there were none.

The gear stick isn‘t exactly loose but it moves around freely with no hint of any gears even with the engine running.

I had a new clutch last year and recently spent a load on O2 sensor and rear discs + pads etc to get it through an MOT. Now the car is kaput.

Does this sound bad? What‘s likely to have gone wrong here and what‘s it likely to cost me?
i feel for you dude, things like that can really sour the ownership experience

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
I had nobody around so set my phone up to record what happened when I moved the gear stick. I have posted the video.

It looks like it is all linked up ok. I guess this is not looking good. :(

Time to search for recon/new gearbox costs methinks.

[youtube]9UNpDUgrnOc[/youtube]

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
dotty said:
Off topic, but how do you find that battery?
It fit's the bay perfectly unlike the previous one. It puts out 330amps starting power whereas the previous one was 300amps I think. I did notice the car starting better than it had ever done when I changed it (even before I killed the prev battery by flattening it twice). I can't fault it really.

dotty

Advanced Member
Cheers mate, that answered my question, I need a new battery so I shall invest.

VT-Doo

RushDoo
Your gears seem to be working; you say you have no drive...the next thing to check is whether or not the clutch is actually engaging/disengaging.

On the front of the gearbox above the front engine mount lies the clutch slave cylinder. Make sure it's pushing the clutch release fork as you push on the clutch pedal.