HELP!…My gears have just vanished.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
Your gears seem to be working; you say you have no drive...the next thing to check is whether or not the clutch is actually engaging/disengaging.

On the front of the gearbox above the front engine mount lies the clutch slave cylinder. Make sure it's pushing the clutch release fork as you push on the clutch pedal.
Not quite no drive. No actual gears. Clutch was new last year so I would hope it's working ok. When I move the gear stick I could easily move it in a clockwise/anticlockwise direction. It does not have any slots for 1st, 2nd etc. There is just nothing there at all, it moves around freely without any sign of gear engagement with the clutch in or out.

My dad is on his way round so will get him to press the clutch while I have a look while there is still some light.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Ok...there is a fork type thing in front of the gearbox attached to a compressible seam type thing. On pressing and releasing the clutch it moves sideways.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Is this a case of the box can be repaired or would I need a new/recon one. Any ideas as to likely cost and a good place in the North West to get it done?

dotty

Advanced Member
anticlaus105 said:
Is this a case of the box can be repaired or would I need a new/recon one. Any ideas as to likely cost and a good place in the North West to get it done?
Where in the North West are you?

Take it top TDi North in Warrington if you can get it trailered down.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
Car is in garage now. They say the selector part of gearbox has come apart. It all looks ok but just needs putting back together but they don't know how.

Anyone know where I can get a diagram/schematic of the gearbox for them to work with before they have to start mithering Honda?

EDIT: Am looking at the workshop manual to see if it's in there.

dotty

Advanced Member
Get it sent to Honda, it will be similar to the EP3 I would imagine, I would not let a garage loose with it if they do not know what they are doing!

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
All sorted now \:D/

Needed a new change lever and a couple of other bit and bobs (RSX manual 13-25). Just shy of £180 all in.

Cheers to everyone for the help.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
VT-Doo said:
That's a very good price :shock:
My mate works for a garage. They let me buy the parts with their trade discount (sometimes Dave J can still beat this tho) and don't overdo it on the labour charges. When it first went I was sweating after several people mentioned figures in region of a grand :eek:

I wouldn't like to know what a Honda dealer would have charged.

rodney

Advanced Member
:evil:

FFS, one thing after another at the moment.

Driving normally, not hard and I suddenly lost the use of 2th, 4th and 6th gear. Can access 1st 3rd and 5th.

I have a BC shifter, anyone else experienced the same problem. Am swapping it for the OEM shifter tomorrow to see if that helps :xrealangry:

Chris-DC5

Advanced Member
Getting rid of the BC shifter can only help.

Where is the biting point on your clutch pedal??

jay82

Advanced Member
rodney said:
:evil:

FFS, one thing after another at the moment.

Driving normally, not hard and I suddenly lost the use of 2th, 4th and 6th gear. Can access 1st 3rd and 5th.

I have a BC shifter, anyone else experienced the same problem. Am swapping it for the OEM shifter tomorrow to see if that helps :xrealangry:
happened me coming home off nights one morning, i only had 2th and 4th with a bit off fiddling.
had to take apart of the centre console and have one hand on the gear knob and another down around the shifter itself to get it into gear. put the oem shifter back in and everything was grand. but look under the bc shifter you'll see black dust and it'll be off the shifter wearing down

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i would not go near a bc shifter tbh, they are just not up to the quality of the oem with the B&M kit, and all too often people end up with shift trouble with them,

rodney

Advanced Member
Changed the shifter to OEM.

All is well, prefer the OEM throw, it's featherweight compared to the BC.

dotty

Advanced Member
I found my BC shifter to be OK tbh, but then I only had it for a year or so.. might check out the B&M one, how much are they?

Stoo

Whining.....
Just to add,this trouble was not BC shifter related.

They get bad press but I've had 3 of them And never had issue.