Help 18" alloys fitment

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Hi
I wanna change the rims on my DC5 but unfortunately for me, all the rims i like are only made in 18" upwards, none in 17".
Is anyone running 18" wheels with lowered coilovers suspension.
Mines currently sat on a new set of Yellowspeed coilovers (not sure on exact model) but the dampening can be adjusted.
I'm ideally looking for a deep dish style alloy with a gold face and a chrome/polished lip but all the ones I've seen only come in 18" or above.
Here a few styles of rims i like, maybe there are similar sizes in 17" which i don't know about and hopefully someone can point me in the right direction?

XXR do a few in 17" but they only come in 9J or they don't make them in 5x114.3 fitment.

http://www.xxrwheels.com/wheels/xxr-521
http://www.xxrwheels.com/wheels/xxr-531
http://www.xxrwheels.com/wheels/xxr-536

https://h-tune.co.uk/ultralite-18-ul10-alloy-wheel-gold-9-5j-et20-100-112-x-5/?gclid=Cj0KEQjw2LjGBRDYm9jj5JSxiJcBEiQAwKWAC341GriLbUSAeTufBWcyvz34jlbdU_eNozszbus7iaIaApD08P8HAQ

After this sort of alloys but not sure if they'd fit in 17" being 9J wide and i take it 18" is a definite No No?
If it helps, I'm not using the car in a track, it is my daily ride and looks are more important than losing out a bit of performance.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
18s fit, but the offset is what you have to watch. No hope of fitting those bottom ones linked unless your running the M&M kit. Lol

Check out the "wheels..what fits and how they look" thread. Pages and pages of wheels and sizes there. :)

adam.

Advanced Member
Those 531's come in 17x8 by the looks of it....

Though I'd class XXR down there with Rota.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
No hope of fitting those bottom ones linked unless your running the M&M kit
Is that because of the 9.5j width? Would 8.5j be okay fitment wise?
Anything below 8j is pointless as you don't really get a concaved look

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
The offset. Anything below et45 and you are potentially going to have to do arch work (depends on camber), et20 is 25mm further out from the hub again. :/ too tight imo.

The wheel width is tricky, some run 9j but have camber to suit, but then the et is higher to suit....it may rub on the inside of the wheel or arch depending on offset. Its a confusing game changing the wheels, but at 9.5j with a low et (around 20) id say that would be alot of fetttling and extra expense. Suited more to the evos, skylines, supras, 350zs etc.

Ive seen on Facebook some people have changed their hubs to EP3 items to gain an extra 15mm, but that's still not going to help too much with a real low offset as linked above.

As said...search for the thread I mentioned above....shed loads of pics and specs to keep you busy for an hour ;)

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
You can pretty much forget about proper concave wheels on a dc5. It prettymuch just doesn't happen.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I'm sure some of them use adjustable spanners too.
What's that got to do with anything?

You seem to take a dim view of them, I'm interested in why, considering TGM have used them on their race cars and I know other race teams have too?

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
No, I'm not, however there really isn't as much wrong with them as people make out. Not everyone has £1500+ or wants to shell that out on lightweight JDM racing rims, for those people I'd say Rota are one of the better choices considering that they are race proven.

XXR alloys are popular amongst Evo owners, apart from that I don't know much about them.

kazmo

Advanced Member
the likes of TGM use them on race cars because they need 20 wheels per car and rotas are cheap, i dont think many low budget race teams could justify 15k+ just on wheels...

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
kazmo said:
the likes of TGM use them on race cars because they need 20 wheels per car and rotas are cheap, i dont think many low budget race teams could justify 15k+ just on wheels...
Of course not, so they use the cheapest wheel that will cope with 24h races etc. Hence Rota aren't a bad choice if they are fit for that purpose.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Still looking for rims.
Does anyone know if JR23 17x8J ET45 would fit straight in without arch work??