help are my pads ment to move?

viggen

Advanced Member
hello.ive brought a pair of second hand paul g disc and ds2500 pads,and when driving over 40mph i can feel the brake pedel juddering slighty.and ive noticed on the passangers side front disc,all the way around the outer rim 4 mm is being worn away alot more than the rest of the disc.and the pad seems to move from left to right about 5,6mm in and out of the caliper and is touching the bell rim,is this normal?could it be the pads are broken.or the pins that hold the pads in need replacing.please help.thanks

the disc and pads where in excellent condition when i brought them.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Pads shouldn't move much at all, you have got the pins in and secured right? Also, I don't know if standard DS2500s fit - Paul supplies Mintex pads that fit, but the standard DC5 pad shape is too wide and rubs on the bell (found this out after spending £212 on a set of Carbotech XP10s that just rubbed on the bell when I test fitted them!)

If the pads were running on those discs when you bought them though, I guess they are the right size (unless the previous owner was a numpty).

dave c

400hp K20
You need to trim the inside edge of the ds2500 when using in conjunction with the Paul G disks.

You need to use an angle grinder or similar to remove 2-5mm of the material surrounding the inside of the pad, (nearest to the bell).

The reason for this is, as the pad is worn down, if untrimmed the pad will then begin to grind the aluminium bell. Same with the mintex 1144's but if you buy them from paul he does this for you.

You'll need to double check with Paul or TGM or someone on here for the exact area to trim.

HTHs

On a side note my pads move forwards and backwards slightly but not side to side, I would definitely get it all checked out as brakes are kinda important after all. :)

viggen

Advanced Member
i brought them from stoo,and had them fitted at tgm.im very happy with them just need to sort this problem out.when you say i need to grind down 2-5mm of the pad.do you mean the pad material its self or what the pad is sat on?thanks for the help

Paul G

Members
i brought them from stoo,and had them fitted at tgm.im very happy with them just need to sort this problem out.when you say i need to grind down 2-5mm of the pad.do you mean the pad material its self or what the pad is sat on?thanks for the help
Hi, It's the bit that the pad is 'sat on' , eg the back plate that may need approx 3mm take off the outer pads when using some pads. So that it dose not rub on the bell when the pads wear down...

If you get stuck i can supply Mintex pads that will fit with the 2 piece discs ok, £139. inc post. ;)

Paul.

viggen

Advanced Member
ok thank you paul i might be in touch soon.as for the pads they have around 10mm on them.they do need sanding down as you can see they will overlap when worn down.but one side is perfectly fine and other isnt.i ve noticed that the actual pad side wall is sat rubbing on the bell.i will trying grinding them down and see what happens.i will post a pic in the morning.thanks

viggen

Advanced Member
ive been out and grinded down 3mm each side.but i think damage has been done to the pad one side.when pushing the pedel the pad was trying to ride up over the bell so it wasnt flush with the disc,so it also marked the outside rim on the disc.but im hoping that in a few hundred miles the pads will bed in flush with the disc again,i will give it a couple of weeks.as im still getting brake judder.and can feel it slightly through the steering wheel.if not i will buy new pads from you paul.thanks for all your help

Paul G

Members
ok thank you paul i might be in touch soon.as for the pads they have around 10mm on them.they do need sanding down as you can see they will overlap when worn down.but one side is perfectly fine and other isnt.i ve noticed that the actual pad side wall is sat rubbing on the bell.i will trying grinding them down and see what happens.i will post a pic in the morning.thanks
No prob's , can always get me on my works mob if you need me, tel: 0798 9039015 (9>5pm Mon>Fri).

Paul.