Help Engine Oil Top Up

ladykb

Advanced Member
Hi, I have another 3000 miles before my next service but i need an oil top up

Honda used Castrol Magnatec 5w-40 n my last service and i cant find it anywhere, added to that i see that everyone says its poor and NO ONE has it listed on the 'What Oil Thread'
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3099

My question is, for a 1 litre top up do i need the same thickness and grade? i.e another brand of 5w-40 or can i go for something totally different :?: :?:

I will switch to one of the more popular ones with my next service thanks :D :D

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
Just for a topup i don't think it'll matter a great deal aslong as its the same viscosity and make sure you match synth with synth or semi synth with semi synth etc.

john a

would stick to the same grade . i used mobil 1 to top mine up shortly after i bought it which is 0w-40w because it was readily available down my local garage without any problems. or you could get some Silkolene from opieoils.co.uk for your upcoming service and a little bottle for top ups which is what i do now.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
It should be fine. When I first got my car, IIRC (was quite a while ago) it had 10w30 semi-synth in it. I topped this up with silkolene 5w40 fully-synth after consulting oilman during the time period before my next service.

pm oilman if you want additional advice/assurance from an oil expert :).

eXceed

Resident Driver
blueguy said:
It should be fine. When I first got my car, IIRC (was quite a while ago) it had 10w30 semi-synth in it. I topped this up with silkolene 5w40 fully-synth after consulting oilman during the time period before my next service.

pm oilman if you want additional advice/assurance from an oil expert :).
Yeah it's fine to mix different grades... BUUT they do warn that the extra stuff they put in the oil can be negatively affected by introducing another oil with different extra stuffs (additives lol).

sinbad

Advanced Member
As mentioned its fine to mix oils but try and keep with the same grade.

ladykb

Advanced Member
sorry to be thick (woman) :D but what is the grade? is the Fully or part synthetic bit?

what is the 5W part mean and what does the 40 mean thanks all

sinbad

Advanced Member
ladykb said:
sorry to be thick (woman) :D but what is the grade? is the Fully or part synthetic bit?

what is the 5W part mean and what does the 40 mean thanks all

hey

Maybe this will help
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34060

Synthetic just means its man made in a lab.

5w means its visocity (thickness) when cold and the 40 means its viscoity when warm.