HELP!! My car had a funny 5 mins

Mark_teg

Staff member
Earlier the EML came on and the car was limited to 4k rpm max. Thought O2 sensor at fault straight away.
Went home and plugged laptop in (kpro), started car and the EML wasn't on! Left it idle for a few mins, still no EML!!

Took it for a drive, about a mile away car started spluttering and EML came on! Pulled over and started to look at the laptop when I noticed how rich the car smelt! Looked to the side of me and noticed smoke coming from the exhaust and blowing past me/the car!!! At that point switched engine off and popped the bonnet open, cant see anything wrong!
Started the car, ran fine again with no EML! Have driven it around for 20 mins since and dataloged but the problem wont come back again.

So any of the experts on here have any suggestions PLEASE?
Car was mapped a few months ago, has no cat (for 18 months ish) and the EML hasn't come on before!
Will the fault code be saved on the ECU even though the EML is no longer on?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
the fault code should be stored.

as to the fault, if the o2 sensor was US then i wouldnt expect it to drive that badly, certainly no visible smoke, if however your coolant temp sensor was broken the ecu may think the engine is still cold (like having the choke on) it will wildly overfuel causing your missfire and the smoke.

there is a section (emmisions) in the RSX manual that describes how to test the sender.

there are quite a few other things that could cause it but start with the datalog

Mark_teg

Staff member
Cheers for the response Si.
I did datalogue but like i say, the fault didn't occur! How do I attach the datalogue here anyway?
As for the coolant temp sensor, surely the gauge would act-up too?..

Im going to chance driving it to work in the morn, hopefully I'll be ok

raz786

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
the fault code should be stored.

as to the fault, if the o2 sensor was US then i wouldnt expect it to drive that badly, certainly no visible smoke, if however your coolant temp sensor was broken the ecu may think the engine is still cold (like having the choke on) it will wildly overfuel causing your missfire and the smoke.

there is a section (emmisions) in the RSX manual that describes how to test the sender.

there are quite a few other things that could cause it but start with the datalog

Si could you PLEASE post up how to test this. My car has a running rich problem at the moment and even TGM can't find a fault :cry:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Mark_teg said:
Cheers for the response Si.
I did datalogue but like i say, the fault didn't occur! How do I attach the datalogue here anyway?
As for the coolant temp sensor, surely the gauge would act-up too?..

Im going to chance driving it to work in the morn, hopefully I'll be ok

there are 2 coolant temp sensors 1 for guage and 1 for ecu, you need to look in rsx manual as i am on my phone and cant see it.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
raz, running rich and overfuelling are slightly different, rich is usually a lambda related issue (or engine mods like exhausts for example) where overfuelling where you can see the smoke is different normally something has totally failed.

raz786

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
raz, running rich and overfuelling are slightly different, rich is usually a lambda related issue (or engine mods like exhausts for example) where overfuelling where you can see the smoke is different normally something has totally failed.
Had it on the dyno to see what it was doing and at some points the AF ratio was dropping to 10 :shock:

But no fault codes or anything, has a misfire at low revs, usually 2k or slightly lower. But even this misfire is not constant, seems to become more prominent after giving first and second gear and then slowing to a stop. As i move off again at this point the misfire returned. Any ideas?