Help needed a.s.a.p!!!

booker2003

Help!!!! Just got back from oman and my car battery was dead when i arrived back. No friends to start it now and then!!! Got it jump started this morning and now when its on idle it revs between 1 and 2000 revs, up and down consistently. Any ideas? It drives fine until it comes to idleing

dotty

Advanced Member
How long was the car stood for?

idle control valve could be sticking?

booker2003

ha ha thanks, silly question but how do you reset the ecu? Is it just a case of just taking the battery off?

mikegsi

Staff member
remove one of the fuses in the engine fuel box, cant remember which one off the top of my head but try a search you'll find it, will also save you from setting your headunit and auto windows back up

Wootty

Advanced Member
If that doesn't do it you have to strip and clean the Idle valve... Not a hard job and there is a tread on here somewhere...

keevster

Advanced Member
Yep i'll go for the idle control valve, take it off and give it a good clean out

Paul :wink:

celox performance

Advanced Member
Seems like a big coincidence that your car was ok until the battery went flat so i'd say that your ecu needs to adjust.

The ECU will need time to adjust which could take up to 50 miles. During this time the car may stall at lights, idle erratically etc.

anticlaus105

Advanced Member
mikegsi said:
auto windows back up
Sorry to hijack but whats the score with that? If the battery goes flat can it mess the auto window up?

Mine went flat about 6 months ago (think I left the interior light on).
Ever since the auto window has occasionally not worked. Seems ok atm tho.

May also be cos someone potted it a while ago tho.

mikegsi

Staff member
if the power is cut to the window motor you need to reset the auto function, easy enough to do though, put the window down, then raise it keeping your finger on the button till you hear a little noise after the window has gone up, finger off then back on still pressing up till the noise comes again, not sure if you actually need to repeat it but i do for good measure!

TypeRKid

Advanced Member
Ive had the exact same problem as you mate when i went on holiday for 2weeks and came back with same problem. Bascially the ecu is cold and damp so start your car up as normal and take it for a drive,once fully warmed up put your foot down and vtec it baby,this should sort the problem out. :wink:

booker2003

Thanks for all the advice, looks like everybody was right. My auto windw did'nt work either, but after a 70mile tear up the A1, it's running sweet as a nut.Cheers people! :D