Help needed with Quarter mile Time

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Ok I need help here as I don't seem to be able to launch without the car bouncing from the trac. Control kicking in..

I am getting times of 15.01 but I just cannot get below the 15 mark and I am sure I should be able to.

I think I am losing to much at the start because of the Trac. Control. Is it best to try and launch really slow and then put my foot down.. which is what I do from the traffic lights when ...errr burning a way from someone :roll: But its different at the POD as I tend to just floor it as soon as it goes green.

Help

UW

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
yeh was thinkin that T/C? :?

Hopefully if weathers oks will be at pod this sunday :D

Heard that a few saxo :oops: wernt far behind you last sunday mark :shock:

Rob

herts62

Slip your clutch and get a Hondata ECU (will take .5 off 1/4 mile)
I have one for sale, see ads. I was there when you ran 15's and I ran 14.3 WITHOUT nos

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Traction Control :?:

Mark, try to launch it just below the VTEC engagement, lower the pressure in your front tyres (I used to take atleast 10PSI out), remove rear interior, and passenger seat.

I think 15.01 is reasonable for a car with your mods, and limited 1/4 mileage experience, took me loads of goes to get any respectable times in my old EK9.

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Hmmmmm are you guys saying that the DC5 doesnt have Traction Control!!!! .. then why when I try to floor it does the front wheels jump and judder all over the place... I can not wheel spin at all .. the car just jumps .. what the hell is that then .... is it the LSD??

Lets say I hammer it from standing start .. say 4000 rpms as soon as I floor it the car (feels) like instead of wheel spinning it jumps and judders on the front wheels (a bit like when abs kicks in but much harder) then as I take it to 8300 rpms and change gears it will do it a again (only very sightly thou) like it wants to wheel spin in second...

Is this normal or is something wrong with my car???

Yes a chipped up lighten saxo with ££££ of engine work was right behind me on the quarter mile time He got away from me at the start but I over took him in the mid section.. he ran 15.04 I was 15.01

The other saxo got his arse kicked.. :wink:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Unnamed_warrior said:
Hmmmmm are you guys saying that the DC5 doesnt have Traction Control!!!! .. then why when I try to floor it does the front wheels jump and judder all over the place... I can not wheel spin at all .. the car just jumps .. what the hell is that then .... is it the LSD??

Lets say I hammer it from standing start .. say 4000 rpms as soon as I floor it the car (feels) like instead of wheel spinning it jumps and judders on the front wheels (a bit like when abs kicks in but much harder) then as I take it to 8300 rpms and change gears it will do it a again (only very sightly thou) like it wants to wheel spin in second...

Is this normal or is something wrong with my car???
Mark,

I thing that’s the LSD kicking in m8, and yes even in second the DC5 will wheel spin, depends on your driving style also :wink:

The other thing, considering your car came over in a modified state, has it got an up rated LSD unit on it, just a thought :idea: I would not know how you would tell this thou :?

Mike

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Thanks Mike for that

So that doesnt help my launching issue thou...

On a good note mate, my new exhaust from Haywood and scott is wicked .. so much better than the buddie club one..

Might get a hondata soon... :D

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Mark the juddering is normal, I find it is just the tyres struggling for grip in a FWD. What tyres are you running?, as a really grippy tyre that is cold would do this.

I doubt it is the LSD, as LSD's will do next to nothing in a straight line, they are there to help traction around bends by removing power to the wheel with the least traction and transferring to the the wheel with most traction. Im no techie so don't shoot the messenger if I explained it wrong.

If you want me to take it down the strip for you, to check its OK Im quite happy :D, your time is nothing to worry about, practice makes perfect, it is much easier to launch a 4X4 than FWD or RWD.

You should see me launch in the Elise with my 125 horses, back end flys around :lol:

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
ah ok then if the juddering is normal, I am happy with that ...

I am running Goodyears F1s.. If the weather is good I will be at S.Pod this sunday.. if you are there.. you can take her down the 1/4

Rob-DC2

Advanced Member
nice i'll be there sunday if weather gets better, then i'll show you rubbiish times :oops: the DC5 is alot diffrent from my DC2 :roll:

Rob

Type R - Matt

Advanced Member
Unnamed_warrior said:
ah ok then if the juddering is normal, I am happy with that ...

I am running Goodyears F1s.. If the weather is good I will be at S.Pod this sunday.. if you are there.. you can take her down the 1/4
I live virtually on the doorstep, unfortunatly I can't make it, sorting out my new business venture which will hopefully pay for my new project :D

The reason I mentioned its normal, for those that have driven with cold cut slicks/slicks, the amount of juddering it does when you launch it from cold is phenominal, I found this with road tyres when I had a fair whack of power going through the front tyres. You might be a bit too aggresive with the throttle too. I used to bounce mine off the limiter, whilst slipping the clutch until the tyres digged in.

I know its sad but drop the pressures quite a lot, and do a bit of a burn out. This time of year you will lose heat in minutes, and by the time you get to the start line you will proberly have stone cold tyres. Give it lots of welly when burning out.

Have fun, I would have loved to have been there. Sorry. Next time :twisted: