Help needed !!!

Joshhawker

So as the tittle says I need help ! I can not stop looking at dc5's and it's driving me insane. At the minute I drive a Golf R32 and I love it to bits but my mate has converted me. Some of you may know him ( George657 ) I really want a charged one, when George got his it was charged and I just fell in love with the sound and how brutal it was.

I'm looking for some advice on what there like obviously me and George talk about them a lot but it's nice to have some more input about them.

Has anyone else had a VW and converted to Honda and what was it like if you did ? What was your first time in one like ? etc etc

Cheers Josh

p1tse

Advanced Member
Hi and welcome

What r32 do you have, mk4, mk5, dsg, manual, mods?
To be honest the r32 exhaust note from a standard card on this money is the best in my opinion.

Also depends what you use your car for, commute, weekend, business, miles etc.

What about charging your r32 ;)

Joshhawker

Patch_teg said:
Hi and welcome

What r32 do you have, mk4, mk5, dsg, manual, mods?
To be honest the r32 exhaust note from a standard card on this money is the best in my opinion.

Also depends what you use your car for, commute, weekend, business, miles etc.

What about charging your r32 ;)
Thank man . I've got a MK4 3 door in silver with fullheated leather etc it's a very nice spec low mileage car. I'm running coilovers on it and just a panel filter with a milltek non res exhaust. I've also got a wide set of wheels for it too. I use it to get to and from work and the gym I probably do around 80miles a week at the moment but there is a van on the way so the miles on the car will drop to about 2 miles a week 😂

I've looked into charging mine but it's coming out at around £6000 mark. I've never owned a jap car and would like to see what I'm missing too lol

subtronics

Advanced Member
I haven't driven a R32 Golf, but I am a recent owner of a silver DC5. I use it for everything, a real workhorse, I got kids young and old, and also commute daily in it. It tackles everything I through at it without issue, if a little bumpy due to the coilovers.

The one thing I will say is its an experience, from being held tight by the buckets, push button start (c-pack) exhaust note, induction kit noise and the Vtec kicking in. Its not the fastest car in the world, but that doesn't matter, it feels like your doing 200mph stood still. :)

If your getting one, watch out for rust, I fell in love with mine when I drove it, and overlooked a bad cover up of rust on the rear arch. Now I got to fork out for it repairing. But there are loads of really good and well loved examples out there.

Watch out for the usual things as well, they are an old car now. Clutches, gearboxes, knocking bottom end. Also check the spare wheels well for rust.

There are more experienced owners on here, but thats my 10pence worth, hope it helps!

Get yourself on the facebook group, there are loads going for sale on there. And if you got any questions feel free to drop me a pm. :)

Joshhawker

subtronics said:
I haven't driven a R32 Golf, but I am a recent owner of a silver DC5. I use it for everything, a real workhorse, I got kids young and old, and also commute daily in it. It tackles everything I through at it without issue, if a little bumpy due to the coilovers.

The one thing I will say is its an experience, from being held tight by the buckets, push button start (c-pack) exhaust note, induction kit noise and the Vtec kicking in. Its not the fastest car in the world, but that doesn't matter, it feels like your doing 200mph stood still. :)

If your getting one, watch out for rust, I fell in love with mine when I drove it, and overlooked a bad cover up of rust on the rear arch. Now I got to fork out for it repairing. But there are loads of really good and well loved examples out there.

Watch out for the usual things as well, they are an old car now. Clutches, gearboxes, knocking bottom end. Also check the spare wheels well for rust.

There are more experienced owners on here, but thats my 10pence worth, hope it helps!

Get yourself on the facebook group, there are loads going for sale on there. And if you got any questions feel free to drop me a pm. :)
Thanks for your input. It's pretty much how I'd be using mine for a little while except for the kids because I got none lol but thanks for letting me know what you use it for and how your getting on with it

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Hi there as already said never had or driven a Golf R32 but love the noise they make form standard, they are a good all round comfy car but a bit juicy I hear. DC5 wise, depends what you want form a car, personally I don't see the point in a charged or Turbo'd Integra (DC2 or 5) mainly due to the fact that the DC2 and DC5 are built to be different. If I was to go forced induction ever again I would go to a car built from the factory for it, another Skyline GTR or another EVO etc, the point of the DC2 and DC5 is mainly for the usability and fun factor, the daily cheap use vs the fun VTEC use.

The switchover is great, the DC5 does not sound as good on switch over as the DC2 but it's a better all round car, I had the DC2 for 5 years and the 5 about 6 months now but would only ever have a DC2 again if I was to be using it as a toy only.

The DC5 although a daily is not actually used daily, more like weekly/fortnightly.

The seats are good, car is comfy, got a few luxuries and comfort items but not too many, feels good with a great seating position and feel for driver feedback. As sais there seem to be a few up for sale now, mine was pretty much mint when I brought it and I am getting the final bits done in May but look as said for one with no rust (if possible) and from a reputable import company (like Torque GT) as they generally only get very good examples over.

Indi

Advanced Member
I think you'd enjoy your move to a DC5. The car itself just feels a lot more 'sporty' as soon as you sit in it and then there's the drive and steering feedback which IMO Golf's hugely lack especially the MK4 chassis, but that R32 V6 does sound awesome :)

Gaz700

Iv had 2 mk4 R32,just got my dc5 a fortnight ago....dc5 is totally different,the golf just feels like an everyday car to me,except the fuel consumption and noise although I loved them and always been a vw man,DC5 is great place to be and drives more like a sporty/fun car in my opinion

Joshhawker

Indi said:
I think you'd enjoy your move to a DC5. The car itself just feels a lot more 'sporty' as soon as you sit in it and then there's the drive and steering feedback which IMO Golf's hugely lack especially the MK4 chassis, but that R32 V6 does sound awesome :)
This is my problem I can't work out if it's just the sound that I'm going to miss or the whole car. I took it to Nurburgring and it was unbelievable the grip it had was a joke. As soon as I get in a teg I'll know I'll fall in love with it

Joshhawker

Gaz700 said:
Iv had 2 mk4 R32,just got my dc5 a fortnight ago....dc5 is totally different,the golf just feels like an everyday car to me,except the fuel consumption and noise although I loved them and always been a vw man,DC5 is great place to be and drives more like a sporty/fun car in my opinion
Like I said to Indi I can't work out if it's just the noise that I'm in love with. The 32 is quick but just effertless to drive, giving it stick around B roads it just soaks up the corners no understeer nothing it's just a little too easy to drive I think. How long did you have your one ? Mines a pretty rare one and I'm scared I'll regret selling it

Gaz700

I had two,both for about a year each,i look at it more of the R32 is like a grown ups car and the dc5 is like the inner child,but id defo still own another 32

Joshhawker

Gaz700 said:
I had two,both for about a year each,i look at it more of the R32 is like a grown ups car and the dc5 is like the inner child,but id defo still own another 32
That's true , I'm going to be using the DC5 as a weekend toy as I have a van coming this year too. I think this will make me look forward even more to coming out on the weekends to take her for a spin. Where I've had my 32 this long now I don't think I'll get that same buzz

Joshhawker

Gaz700 said:
That's true , I'm going to be using the DC5 as a weekend toy as I have a van coming this year too. I think this will make me look forward even more to coming out on the weekends to take her for a spin. Where I've had my 32 this long now I don't think I'll get that same buzz

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Joshhawker said:
Thanks for that chris I wasn't expecting that !! It looked like the dc5 was all over the 32
From what I take from that video is that it looks like a much more driver focussed car and that seems what your looking for tbh. I've not driven an R32 before but I know they sound amazing!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Joshhawker

Chrismartin said:
From what I take from that video is that it looks like a much more driver focussed car and that seems what your looking for tbh. I've not driven an R32 before but I know they sound amazing!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
I just want a weekend toy that's going to put a smile on my face

p1tse

Advanced Member
Golf is an easier everyday car, whilst dc5 is more rewarding and involving to drive, but the trade off is that in comparison will be more louder inside as less refined

Joshhawker

Patch_teg said:
Golf is an easier everyday car, whilst dc5 is more rewarding and involving to drive, but the trade off is that in comparison will be more louder inside as less refined
The noise doesn't bother me as it's only going to be a weekend car. The luxuary and the niceness of the 32 doesn't bother me to much either , I have no kids or anything so that's a plus side to that lol