Help needed

dazza

Advanced Member
I'm trying, but failing miserably at getting a video clip from a DVD onto my computer.
I tried uploading using Photobucket but it says the video file is the wrong type.

Really come up against a brick wall with this. HELP!!!!

By the way it's the clip of the Teg on Used Car Roadshow :D

jay dh

what format is the file on the dvd? and how did u transfer it to your computer?

its either that photobucket only allows a certain type so it would need converting, or when u took it off the dvd, it didnt go to plan...

edit, is it an offical dvd from a shop or is it a file that someone has stuck onto a dvd-r?

dazza

Advanced Member
The DVD is a DVD+R
I recorded it from Sky+, i can't even transfer it off the DVD using the DVD drive in the computer onto the hard drive.
I've never done anything like this before.

jay dh

ok, i dont know anything about sky+ format but i know it can be transferred to a computer. ill have a search and let u know if i find anything.

dazza

Advanced Member
jay dh said:
ok, i dont know anything about sky+ format but i know it can be transferred to a computer. ill have a search and let u know if i find anything.
xthumbup

jay dh

apparently the Sky+ uses a format called UDF v2.5, you'll need to install something on your computer that recognises this format.

i found the below bit from a website which gives more detail for XP but try the first link and you want 'Sonic UDF Reader' (not sure if free) at the bottom or the second link 'Adaptec UDF Reader Driver' but dont know if this supports the UDF v2.5. i can only suggest trying them. Nero is also mentioned below but no link is provided
Probably. I say probably because you don't state what OS you have on those
machines that can't read the CD-RW. The SKY box could be writing UDF v2.5,
which is not supported by Windows XP. XP natively supports only v1.5 and
v2.0 of UDF.

So that I don't have to come back and deal with this later, I'll assume you
have XP. If you want to read those disks in XP then you will have to use a
driver that supports UDF v2.5. I understand that Sonic UDF Reader should do
it, but I couldn't find it on the Sonic site even though there is a link to
it:

http://support.sonic.com/desktop/dow...duct=recordnow

You might get lucky and find the Sonic UDF Reader in one of their trial
packs at the same link. Scroll down for the link to Sonic UDF Reader, which
appears to be dud.

You might also try the Adaptec UDF Reader Driver, which is free, though I
couldn't find any documentation that said it supported UDF v2.5:

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads...94&itemID=6944

Nero InCD 5, which is part of Nero 7, supports UDF v2.5, so you might want
to trial that product as well. The earlier version 6 of Nero, which includes
InCD v4.2, also supports UDF v2.5.

clearout

I'm not sure it will help to have the codec even if you do manage to transfer it to another computer. From what I know the data is stored in the same format as was originally recieved and hence still requires the decoding process to view correctly. The encryption that Sky+ use has not been cracked so far, or if it has, it's been well hidden. The only concievable way I could see a sky+ program being transfered to to send the stream once it has been decoded - via an S-video output to a capture card.