Help on purchasing a DC5.

90Dan.R

Hello Guys,

Just joined this Forum and i've got my head set that i will be buying a DC5 in the near future, i would like to find a few things out from experienced owners before going ahead and buying one though.

I would like to know a few things before hand if someone would be kind enough into letting me know.

Servicing costs and how often these should be done?

Yearly road tax?

Mpg when driven sensibly and obviously driven hard?
I do about a 45 mile round trip per day so 9 times of ten it would be careful and sensible driving.

Problems that occur or things i should look out for whilst purchasing one?

Modifications that will help on track and in general mods to improve the car?

And most of all how good will it handle on track? (most important thing in my eyes :) )

Thanks in advance

90Dan.R

cjh1981

Advanced Member
Try the search there is so much info here, you may be shot down with that post for not searching lol

TypeRiter

Advanced Member
- I self serviced. Costs will range anything from £200 - £400+ depending on what's required and who carries the service out. Intervals are usually 12-months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first.. you'll probably find that an example kept by an enthusiast will have had shorter servicing intervals - not gospel, but it's usually the case.

- There's two tax bands.. one that'll see you charged £280-ish a year or the other that costs in excess of £400. Check when and what the car was registered as (LPG etc) to establish which band your prospective Teg falls into.

- On average the DC5 returns 280 - 300 miles from a 50-litre tank (unmapped). Imagine 45-miles is about £10 a day = £50 a week = £200 a month = rather you than me. But if the running costs are not an issue, go for it. If you thrash the car.. MPG will plummet.. severely, expect no more than 100-120 miles (even that maybe generous), if it's kept at the limited all the time.

- Search the forum: The common ones are:

- Misty/condensation filled/hazy headlamps.
- Water pooling in the spare wheel well
- Bolster-wear on the seats
- Primary O2 sensor

- Mods are an individual choice. Become familiar with the car, understand where you would like to improve then re-ask the questions. For performance the Teg needs nothing more than good tires and good brakes, this will make the standard DC5 a beast. If you're prepared to spend the money, you can hone the cars performance inline with your prefernces. be it handling, power, or aesthetics.

- I didn't track mine - but the DC5 is a beast. It's one of the best handling FWD cars of all time. It's whether you are courageous enough to really test it, as opposed to whether the DC5 will be upto the challenge. For value, there really aren't many cars in the same price bracket, that come to the table with what the DC5 brings: looks, individuality, uniquness, rarity, performance, handling, respect... they draw as much attention and appreciation from car-buffs as they do the random inquisitive types...

alan-lee

Advanced Member
If your looking a good example one was just put on the site for sale with 39k on it! For £7200 you won't get many like that for that kind of money!

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
They really are gd cars a common fault is the neoprene membrane on the back lights failing I don't no any that don't fail but there easy enough to fix and surprisingly economical driven sensibly buy one!

lujamil

Advanced Member
I got mine in May, so far I'm VERY happy with the costs. Fuel economy is around 27mpg (unmapped with mods) in London traffic. I get about 270ish from a full tank. On the other hand on motorway to and back from Manchester (from London- about 500 miles altogether) used about £80 fuel at 140.9p/l. That's with vtec'ing.

Servicing will be carrying out myself. Oil change and oil filter change about £65 depending on the quality of oil you use. I will be using good quality oil.

Road tax cost me £220 for the year.

Anything else you want to know feel free to pm me :)
I know the feeling before your about to purchase a teg. Especially if your a student :p lol