Help please???? Changing a double din Stereo

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Hi everyone, I have a double Din Stereo in the car. This was there when imported from Japan.
Now i have decided to change it or at least see if it has an AUX output for the Ipod.

Does anyone know how to change it? Do I have to take the centre console out?

Also I have a Push Start button....Allthough it is not wired up to the ignition yet? How do I do that?

Last one I promise lol
I was thinking about fitting Racing harnesses, how do I do this and any ideas on the best ones to buy?

Thanks

Jonny

osiras

Advanced Member
Can try and answer most of those questions.
The stereo.
To remove the stereo in the dc5, you need to remove the plastic facia panel directly below the stereo console, normally where the cig lighter is. That will come off with a bit of leverage, if it hasn't been taken off before , be careful as its going to be a little stiff SO USE plastic trim removal tools. This will prevent you from scratching the plastic. Once you've got that off, there are two either 10mm or 8mm bolts at the bottom of the stereo (which you can now feel) closest to you, so the front of the stereo at roughly each front corner. Once you remove them, get your "plastic" trim removal tools and start gently removing the entire plastic surround around the stereo, I start where the hazard button is and work my way round. Its fiddly and normally quite stiff, so take your time with it. When you feel it pulling out, just gently pull the whole section including stereo out, REMEMBERING not to rest the stereo down on the dash without a cloth, as that bit scratches really easily.

Now I did do this a while back, so see how my instructions fare.

Harnesses.
Asked this on the forum myself and got loads of info. There are a few companies on here that do 3point harness's for a good price and installing them is dead easy, (about an hour) Can write more info about that. But a search may fare you better

Let me know what you think?

mikegsi

Staff member
ow do mate

centre console has been covered on here loads, the trim with 12v power supply pops off, theres two screws in the hole facing up that you need to take out, then push the headunit out from behind

re the starter button, it all depends whether you have the proper one or a bodge job, more info/pics would help

racing harnesses are easy enough to fit depending on which type you go for 3/5 point etc

thomsojf

Advanced Member
Firsty, im sorry about posting the same thing twice.Didn't know if i had it in the right section.

Secondly, thanks very much osiras. I'm going to try and remove this, this weekend.So i'll give you a reply and let you know how i get one. I'll try and search for the harness thanks

REDLINER

Hi,the piece of plastic trim round the stereo which houses the hazard light button how does that come off??? as somebody has removed it in the past and not fitted it back properly so its sticking out on one side, I tried to push it back in but isn't working so want to remove the plastic panel and refit it so it sits flat in the dash. Do i need to take out the stereo or can I just prize out front panel??? Please help!!!! ](*,)

Dan2020

Advanced Member
REDLINER said:
Hi,the piece of plastic trim round the stereo which houses the hazard light button how does that come off??? as somebody has removed it in the past and not fitted it back properly so its sticking out on one side, I tried to push it back in but isn't working so want to remove the plastic panel and refit it so it sits flat in the dash. Do i need to take out the stereo or can I just prize out front panel??? Please help!!!! ](*,)

The stereo is mounted onto that part. Remove the plastic trim beneath this (were the 12v socket is) and there should be 2 bolts (if someone bothered to put them back in) under there facing up holding the stereo/panel mount above in place. Remove these and push the stereo including the whole panel out from behind. Pretty easy.

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Just to add to this - Once you have the panel out where the cigerette/power is its just two bolts near the BACK off the metal tray underneath that need to be unscrewed. The whole tray holding the HU's will just pop out. This is what i found anyway as i spent ages tryin to get the screws off at the front!

broomhead50

Hi,

Do you need extra bits to fit an aftermarket double din then or does it just slot straight in? I've read on here somewhere that you need a new surround and an 'accord' adaptor??? If so any links or is it a job for ebay.

Thanks

-Woody-

Advanced Member
ebay.com just search for the acura rsx fascia adaptor. You can only obviously use the double din surround and not the rest as the hazard light is located in the wrong place.

tedsappardy

Help please Changing a double din Stereo

All the cases I have are 2 piece and cant go past 180В°. Are you talking about a "living hinge"?

Stylesa

Advanced Member
i changed to Kenwood double din at the weekend. i just took the cd surround piece of trim out, unscrewed the 'cage' that the cd player was mounted in, had to do a bit of wiring with the speakers and get a new connector but it worked fine, i didnt take out the piece of trim where the cigarette lighter is, have i missed something? The Double din should fit perfect if you put the thin (Rectangular shape to fit the DD) piece of trim around the new cd player, and the slot it back in.

Grov

Banned
Ive got a crappy single din in at the moment, and i will be putting in a Pioneer double din soon, but im a bit lost what else i need. I can't find any fascia adapter, i assume ill need a DD one, because i have a SD in at the mo, and a storage space underneath..........

-Woody-

Advanced Member
You shouldnt need a adaptor. You will just need to take out the storage space and you DD HU should fit in.

Grov

Banned
Excellent, cheers woody, guess ill wait and see, whats this ISO adapter as well ive heard? will i need that.

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Its a adaptor wire for the HU. If you have a standard HU you will need one to fit an aftermarket HU. They normally cost about £5(ebay)-£15(halfords). Do a quick search you should be able to find it.