Help - Radiator hose burst

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Hello
After having my Tegiwa induction kit fitted by them last week, I noticed after driving and parking the car up that there was faint, clear smoke coming from the bonnet. The first time I saw it a few days ago it was pouring down with rain so didn't think anything of it thinking it must've been raining getting into the scoop or something.

Went to a garage today for an exhaust related issue where the mechanic noticed it and opened the bonnet to find the engine bay covered in water - the top right hand side if the radiator had burst resulting in a bug leak. Also, somehow the expansion coolant tank to the left also had a tiny crack and was leaking too.
He showed me how the radiator pipe burst indicating the large Tegiwa induction hose was resting on the radiator hose. He said Tegiwa didn't do a good job of fitting the kit as the large inlet pipe was resting on the radiator hose and due to pressure it's burst the pipe.
Also, apparently I have an unbranded aftermarket aluminium radiator, well I couldn't see a brand name anywhere at the top of it so not sure if the radiator hoses are in the same place in an OEM and an aftermarket radiator.
Still no idea about how the plastic overflow/expansion tank has a crack in it but we filled both tanks up with water so not sure how long it'll last until it's all leaked out.

I need both replacing asap as right now I've been advised to park the car up and not drive until I've bought a new hose and tank.
My question is, are the radiator pipes all universal size/fittings between an OEM and aftermarket radiator?
Also, I can't find the overflow tank anywhere on line :(

2ndy

Advanced Member
Yea the hoses will be the same for OEM and after market radiator.

You could use anything as an overflow bottle as a temp fix until you get an original sorted

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Oh that's good to know cheers.
I thought the overflow bottle linked to the main reservoir?

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Cool I'll look into that cheers.
Anywhere open on a Sunday where I might be able to go pick up these bits?

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Does anyone know if the top radiator hose between DC5/EP3 are the same size?
There's a few EP3 being broekn locally but no DC5.

2ndy

Advanced Member
crasherkid said:
Does anyone know if the top radiator hose between DC5/EP3 are the same size?
There's a few EP3 being broekn locally but no DC5.
Yea they're the same

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Cheers, been and got a hose off an EP3 and fitted, cars back on the road now :)
Thanks for all the support.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Yeah well dunno about you guys but I for one can't live without my car. The thought of being without it for a couple of days had me worried.
I searched on eBay and found somebody local who seems to break EP3's for a living so gave him a call and got the hose and overflow bottle off him.
Also, the overflow bottle did not fit my DC5. It seems my bottle is short in height but very wide, whereas the EP3 one is opposite (tall but narrow)
Anyway, my overflow bottle wasn't cracked ad it was filled yesterday and it hadn't leaked at all overnight so not sure what the first mechanic was looking at when he said it had cracked. (It was only the upper radiator hose that burst due to the weight of the big Tegiwa intake hose which is still restibg on the radiator hose (but not as heavily as before)

p1tse

Advanced Member
Any pics, I can't picture what and how it's resting on?
Is it the intake hose to manifold?

But if it's resting on other hoses I suspect the install angle isn't correct? Do you have a different intake mani so maybe the hose needs trimming to fit?

Out of interest what exhaust issues were you having?