Help, the pipe squeezed after clean the throttle body

Justintian

Advanced Member
Good night everyone,

I was having a bit annoyed about this pipe as pic shown. I did not notice this before, but after I took the throttle body out and cleaned, changed the thermal gasket, put it back on, filled up the coolant, now I started to notice this pipe, when the engine is running, it will squeezed like the photo shown. If I stop the engine, I will hear a very slow water dripping from somewhere in the engine bay for about 10 secs, then stop.

I wonder the pipe may be not strong enough for this section as it just a rubber pipe without any enforcement, feels like even softer than the black rubber ones.

Or maybe I left some gas within the coolant system or any leak? I did double checked it by left the radi cap off and let the engine running to vent the bubbles.

Any suggestion for this?

Thank you so much in advance.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'd say order a proper Honda replacement. As you say they are a bit harder and the blue one looks a bit weak for high vacuum.

Is it actually dripping water on the floor?

If so check you have a proper seal on the gasket and check the water pipes that connect to the throttle body are properly attached and not split/damaged.

If its not loosing water run the engine with the rad cap loose for a couple of minutes to expel any trapped air you may have locked in while the throttle body was removed.

Justintian

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
I'd say order a proper Honda replacement. As you say they are a bit harder and the blue one looks a bit weak for high vacuum.

Is it actually dripping water on the floor?

If so check you have a proper seal on the gasket and check the water pipes that connect to the throttle body are properly attached and not split/damaged.

If its not loosing water run the engine with the rad cap loose for a couple of minutes to expel any trapped air you may have locked in while the throttle body was removed.
Thanks for this, I will get a replacement tomorrow in honda sure, the blue one is too weak from last owner...

No, the dripping water is only a sound seems like from inside somewhere of the engine, no actual water is dripping to the floor. I check them all. I let the engine run at least half an hour yesterday as well as today with loose radi cap, seem like no bubbles coming out. And the car sits on the traffic with no waving rpm neither and stable at 900-1000 rpm.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
It's not just the exhaust manifold you can hear making its usual ticking noises as its cooling down is it? Pretty much all cars do this I think. Immediately after you turn it off you'll hear a metallic sort of crackling noise.

Failing that perhaps it just sounds like water but its actually air to do with that hose. Maybe see what it's like after you get it replaced.

Mark_teg

Staff member
I'm pretty sure that's the vacuum feed for the brake servo.

There's definitely no coolant in that line anyway.. :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
thats really strange, ive never seen it before,

when you say thermal gasket do you mean between the manifold and head or throttle body and manifold? im just trying to think what you could have done to make that happen,

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i dont think it should be pulling enough vacuum to collapse the pipe....... i'll get back to you.

Justintian

Advanced Member
Between intake manifold and throttle is the one I changed. Btw my coolant temp is normal after several days of driving. 20 mile per day at least. I have top up the coolant once as the reservoir was lower than the mini the first day after I filled the coolant.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
I topped up my oil yesterday and while I had the bonnet open I had a look at the same pipe just out of curiosity, The OEM pipe seems to have some kind of support in the middle of it, if you give it a squeeze you can clearly tell there is something solid in there supporting the pipe and preventing it from collapsing under vacuum pressure, if the aftermarket pipe you have contains no support that's possibly the issue.

Justintian

Advanced Member
maxvr6 said:
I topped up my oil yesterday and while I had the bonnet open I had a look at the same pipe just out of curiosity, The OEM pipe seems to have some kind of support in the middle of it, if you give it a squeeze you can clearly tell there is something solid in there supporting the pipe and preventing it from collapsing under vacuum pressure, if the aftermarket pipe you have contains no support that's possibly the issue.
Thanks, max
I might need to find a car breaking for this... they are the same in ep3 but takes 3-4 weeks to come from Japan. £28+vat is not expensive...

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Ah plenty of EP3's knocking about in breakers yards, cant possibly cost more than a tenner second hand for that pipe.