Help with Discs and Pads - MOT coming up

crasherkid

Advanced Member
So my MOT is due in a few weeks and I'd like change my brake discs and pads.
I use my car as a daily on the road, never will be tracked or raced etc and fuel efficiency matters to me so I very rarely floor it (I do at times if I'm on a nice country road ha)
I've seen this full set of front and rear discs and pads on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Front-Rear-Mintex-Drilled-Grooved-Brake-Discs-Pads-and-MDC1621-MDB1543-MDC1622-M-/371674087645?hash=item56898080dd:g:sEgAAOSwhOVXetcE

First of all are they a direct fit? And as long as they're "as good" as OEM, I can't complain as its the cheapest full set I've found.
The rear discs in the images look a bit smaller than what's currently on my car (depth wise)
Or I'm open to opinions if anyone has an alternative value for money?
Many thanks in advance.

spooke

Advanced Member
I'm using OEM Discs and Project Mu NS400 Pad's which I find is a pretty good combo, very little brake dust and they perform well. Can't comment on the ones you've linked but personally I wouldn't cheap out on brakes.

Whilst you're there you may as well get some decent fluid and HEL braided lines.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
I don't intend to cheap out, I was just asking if they would fit as Honda quoted me around £400 for front and rear discs/pads setup.

ijlh

Advanced Member
The picture of the pads in that eBay listing is completely wrong...

Blueprint do discs, part numbers can be found on the forum

And pads can be found anywhere online, if you're after the cheapest possible, EBC do their OEM equivalent which will probably suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Thanks for that.
Looks like £400 is the going rate for full front/rear discs & pads.. can anyone beat that price?

joiner

Advanced Member
Try MTEC, just had a look and for 4No grooved and dimpled, minted pads and black coating works out at £337 delivered as do 10% off. Obviously you can get varying choices and finish but are all the same price and are highly recommended as think they use original brembo discs.

Chewy

Advanced Member
crasherkid said:
Thanks for that.
Looks like £400 is the going rate for full front/rear discs & pads.. can anyone beat that price?
As suggested previously, Cox Motor Parts for OEM Brembos, Job done.

OEM brembo items currently listed on their website;

Front Discs: £112.93
Front Pads: £50.23
Rear Pads: £41.86
= £205.02 + Postage

Rear discs don't appear to be listed on their website at the moment so you may need to call to confirm but they're not going to be more expensive than front discs so worst case scenario you're looking at another £120 if you have to buy the rear discs from somewhere else.

You're looking at circa £325 for Brembo discs and pads all round + Postage.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Cool I will take it up with Cox motor spares.
PS- the stock front discs aren't drilled are they? I ask because somebody recommended "M-Tech" discs who are just as good as brembo (apparently) but they're grooved and look the bees-knees!

Chewy

Advanced Member
No the OEM Brembo discs are just flat plain faced.

MTEC are OEM Brembo discs but you have the choice of having them drilled/grooved/C-hooked and a choice of coloured treatments all at additional costs.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Grooved are fine but will cause more pad wear, dust & noise compared to a flat disc. Avoid drilled as they have a tendency to crack.

spooke

Advanced Member
Is this description accurate?

J-hooks: More bite at higher speeds, a little more pad wear, more brake groan. Not too bad on the road, but certainly not as quiet as the slotted version.

Slotted: Slightly less initial bite at higher speeds (about the same at lower speeds), a little less pad wear, less brake groan at all speeds.

MaxMacGechan

Sorry to hijack this thread but also looking at rear pads right now.

On Tegiwa the "OEM's" are vented, but the "OEM's" on Cox aren't, which would actually be as the car was originally sold with? Both are selling a rear pair for about the same amount.

Also seeing vented Brembo discs for about 40% of the price on eBay, which should also be fine right?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Integra-Coupe-2-0-Litres-Brembo-Rear-Brake-Discs-Coated-Finish-Solid-Type-/291681699317?fits=Plat_Gen%3ADC5&hash=item43e99585f5:g:WxQAAOSwsXFZJ-hf

For similar price on eBay there are Mintex for similar price, are these any good or should they be avoided?

And lastly, am I right in thinking its the same size and fitment of discs that are used on the EP3?

INFO - Running a standard brake set up with Brembo pads, only use my car for daily use and never seen any use on the track.

joiner

Advanced Member
Rear discs on our cars are solid, as for the discs being the same as EP3's, there not, the height of the centre hub is a different height than the Civics so do not fit, can't remember the actual size of each off hand :).