Hesitation if rushed

eXceed

Resident Driver
Been having a problem recently with the teg, whereas if I'm taking a corner too fast or try to rush the engine then it will make a sort of grumbling noise and then pick up after about a second or two. I'm 900% sure it's related to a fuel surge but just wondering is it because there's something wrong with the fuel pump (and I asked my mechanic to change the fuel filter but i'm not entirely sure if it's been done or not, and come to think of it the problem only really surfaced after it was in for a service) or am I just taking things a bit fast (thing is I don't feel like I'm driving it any worst than many and I never get anywhere near what I would call it's limits). Also I have rbc inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and a buddy club exhaust could this be related to the car not being mapped (next on the list!)? Engine light is on but I thought it was because I had the aircon removed :eek:.
Thanks for any advice, not that big an issue but I don't want to be inadvertently doing damage to the engine!

sinbad

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
Also I have rbc inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and a buddy club exhaust could this be related to the car not being mapped (next on the list!)?!
Mate, not being funny but that can be potential engine killing mods there!
Get it mapped ASAP. You'll be running very lean and your probably getting pre detonation which is giving the hesitancy.
Check the engine codes too, only takes 2 mins.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
sinbad said:
eXceed said:
Also I have rbc inlet manifold, exhaust manifold and a buddy club exhaust could this be related to the car not being mapped (next on the list!)?!
Mate, not being funny but that can be potential engine killing mods there!
Get it mapped ASAP. You'll be running very lean and your probably getting pre detonation which is giving the hesitancy.
Check the engine codes too, only takes 2 mins.
+1

eXceed

Resident Driver
yeah I thought as much, hmm I asked the mechanic if it would be bad for the engine without a map. Still got standard parts so no problem there. For now I'll take it easy and not rush it. Thanks for the advice guys. Also checked oil as a first step mate, followed by brimming the fuel tank! I'm not a complete numpty... maybe... :D

sinbad

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
yeah I thought as much, hmm I asked the mechanic if it would be bad for the engine without a map.

And what did he say?
On a majority of cars those mods would be ok on the standard map, but the DC5 starts to run lean once you start adding a combination of mods.

eXceed

Resident Driver
sinbad said:
eXceed said:
yeah I thought as much, hmm I asked the mechanic if it would be bad for the engine without a map.

And what did he say?
On a majority of cars those mods would be ok on the standard map, but the DC5 starts to run leave once you start adding a combination of mods.
He said "nah mate it'll be fine, it's loud as fook though" - whilst laughing. I wasn't. New mechanic... again... :roll:

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Oh dear....OEM ECU will only adjust AFR so far. i'd change out intake manifold for now, probably easier than changing out the header.... then just re-fir right before the map.

eXceed

Resident Driver
Stylesa said:
He said "nah mate it'll be fine, it's loud as fornicate though" - whilst laughing. I wasn't. New mechanic... again... :roll:
Oh dear....OEM ECU will only adjust AFR so far. i'd change out intake manifold for now, probably easier than changing out the header.... then just re-fir right before the map.
Yeah think I will do if I get time before Japfest this Sunday, may have to spend the night on it and forget about my other plans. Thanks everyone, confirmed my suspicions from day one. I actually hate finding good, reliable and trustworthy mechanics. Had soo many howlers. I think I'm just going to go with the big guns from now on and travel the 150miles each time instead. TDI North is probs closest I think.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
TBH as long as you seek plenty advice (from people on here) and you have access to equipment, ramps etc...and you have patience/confidence, you'll be able to do 90% of the work by yourself.

Story - my dad is a mechanic and knows exactly what goes on with a lot of the less competent boys. He had to put his Accord in for a clutch change and service as he couldnt do it himself at the time due to injury. he put a tiny piece of cellotape on the Oil filter as a small test... when he looked at the invoice when he collected his car, he was charged for the oil change and clutch changeout, so on the spot he went and checked the oil filter and pulled off the piece of cellotape that he'd put on and showed it to the mechanic, hadnt changed it..... i wasnt there but he said it was priceless watching the boy squirm! :xlol: :xyes:

eXceed

Resident Driver
Stylesa said:
Yeah think I will do if I get time before Japfest this Sunday, may have to spend the night on it and forget about my other plans. Thanks everyone, confirmed my suspicions from day one. I actually hate finding good, reliable and trustworthy mechanics. Had soo many howlers. I think I'm just going to go with the big guns from now on and travel the 150miles each time instead. TDI North is probs closest I think.
TBH as long as you seek plenty advice (from people on here) and you have access to equipment, ramps etc...and you have patience/confidence, you'll be able to do 90% of the work by yourself.

Story - my dad is a mechanic and knows exactly what goes on with a lot of the less competent boys. He had to put his Accord in for a clutch change and service as he couldnt do it himself at the time due to injury. he put a tiny piece of cellotape on the Oil filter as a small test... when he looked at the invoice when he collected his car, he was charged for the oil change and clutch changeout, so on the spot he went and checked the oil filter and pulled off the piece of cellotape that he'd put on and showed it to the mechanic, hadnt changed it..... i wasnt there but he said it was priceless watching the boy squirm! :xlol: :xyes:
Haha that is an epic story! It's terrible how bad some mechanics are, absolutely shocking. No respect at all, and it's even worst that some are main dealers!!
Funny thing is I have got all the correct equipment (and plenty of patience!) but it's just I didn't think it was best to do DIY on a car like this. Will be doing all major services myself from now and any major engine work for the TGM's/Buddy Club/etc.
What's more annoying is that I take such good care of the car myself, and then see how poorly it's regarded when handed to a mechanic. Only thing I've scrimped on recently is the front tires (massive inside wear) as I intend to change them after going down the strip at Santa Pod. Ah well, live and learn right? Thanks again for advice guys, I'm going to drain and refill oil today as I've got tons of the stuff. Oil filter is brand new (or should be... I provided one!). And I'll try it after doing that, and then remove the RBC if I get time otherwise I'll just drive a little bit more conservatively until I get time. Or bite the bullet and buy a KPro instead of saving up for some alloys (definitely going to get slated for this!) :xlol:.

Stylesa

Advanced Member
GET A KRRO :!:

3 weeks tomorrow im booked into Unit 8....cant wait! Just hoping for a good map!

eXceed

Resident Driver
Stylesa said:
GET A KRRO :!:

3 weeks tomorrow im booked into Unit 8....cant wait! Just hoping for a good map!
Haha that wait must be excruciating. Theres one in the FS section as well, hmm... And I'm quite good at programming so I'd be well tempted to look at the base map (and a few tweaked maps) and try and build my own live map (plenty of nice roads near me). Going to go read some manuals now in fact. Although I imagine my neighbours would call the police after thinking the BTCC had arrived in town :xlol:

Stylesa

Advanced Member
Yeh, and im offshore for approx 3 weeks after i drop it off, so its 6 weeks til i get it back! Its gonna be so loud!! :evil:

Do it....i would have held out for a 2nd hand Kpro but its not worth it and they sell it seconds. They go for like £700 and they are only like £780 new, then £200ish for the map. and unless the second hand Kpro fits your mods, you'd need to get it mapped anyway, so really you're only saving on the cost of mapping if you are competent enough to do it yourself and you have a big piece of road to do 4th gear pulls... :lol:

Do it.... buy alloys next year!!

eXceed

Resident Driver
Stylesa said:
Yeh, and im offshore for approx 3 weeks after i drop it off, so its 6 weeks til i get it back! Its gonna be so loud!! :evil:

Do it....i would have held out for a 2nd hand Kpro but its not worth it and they sell it seconds. They go for like £700 and they are only like £780 new, then £200ish for the map. and unless the second hand Kpro fits your mods, you'd need to get it mapped anyway, so really you're only saving on the cost of mapping if you are competent enough to do it yourself and you have a big piece of road to do 4th gear pulls... :lol:

Do it.... buy alloys next year!!
Ah man, that must suck. I was on holiday for two weeks and I came back with the shakes, needed to drive desperately haha. By 6 weeks I'd probably have developed some kind of mental hernia.
I hate these forums, soo much money spent because of it :lol:. Plenty of long roads, and i'll use my own dyno. I predict er... let's see the trees are moving that fast so 380bhp :xlol:

dotty

Advanced Member
RBC and race header without a map is asking for trouble..

The ECU paramaters can cope with an induction and cat back change but anything more and you are asking for trouble..