Hesitation, over fueling and Cel Code 45 (fuel system too rich/lean)

frampo

Advanced Member
My car has started to hesitate at lower rpm around 1-2500 rpm, it happened suddenly one day. it didnt throw a cel code at first but has now and it is a code 45 (fuel system too rich/lean) i have recently only has the plugs and valve clearances done within the past 2 months. i have tried to reset the ECU and the code disappears for a few days then returns.

i have taken the new spark plugs out and put the old ones back in. the plugs which i removed appear to be covered in carbon deposit which would indicate that it is over fueling.

i swapped one coilpack out which appeared to be covered in carbon, this made a slight improvement, but still did not cure the problem.

does anyone have any idea what i should try next. my sister has a FN2 so can try parts like coil packs and injectors. a friend has suggested it could be fuel filter or 02 sensor, but from memory the 02 sensor was changed by the previous owner.

nellly

Advanced Member
the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank, a little bit of a pain to change but i have never heard of one failing though. also i would expect the 02 sensor to give a code as well if it was faulty they are very sensitive to any problems.

frampo

Advanced Member
nellly said:
the fuel filter is located in the fuel tank, a little bit of a pain to change but i have never heard of one failing though. also i would expect the 02 sensor to give a code as well if it was faulty they are very sensitive to any problems.
from what i understand the fuel filter is a 'lifetime' item and also the o2 sensor should show a code. the only thing i can think of at the moment is a blocked injector, so will be trying some off the FN2.

dotty

Advanced Member
frampo said:
from what i understand the fuel filter is a 'lifetime' item
To be changed at 75k miles, mine is being done at TGM tommorrow along with a major service. :)

frampo

Advanced Member
I have just tried different coil pack and injectors and still has the same problem. Going to get a fuel filter and change that. Anyone got any other idea's?

danny100

Advanced Member
...if its not primary o2 sensor , i say it d be TPS throttle position sensor, hope that d help

davidpingu

Advanced Member
frampo said:
Spoke to Tom at Tgm and he said it will most likely be the primary O2 sensor.
This.

If you have carbon deposits on more than one cylinder it has to be something prior the the actual ignition itself that's causing the issue. Primary sensor is a known weakness so it's definitely the most obvious place to start.

BenSayers

Advanced Member
Where's the best place to get a replacement primary sensor from?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

frampo

Advanced Member
this turned out to be a wiring fault from the ECU. Tom at TGM helped diagnose the problem.

Mark_teg

Staff member
Where's the best place to get a replacement primary sensor from?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Dave Johnson @ Steels Honda. Mention the forum and have your chassis code ready.

01432 267154