hi all ........350z to DC5

yokomo

Hi all
been browsing for a little while now so thought i best say hi , escpially since im going to pop down to the bluewater meet .
has anyone else done a simalar swap from meety engine RWD to ultimate revvy FWD as its been a while since i had fwd carand i know the tech has come along a loong way (last fwd didnt have lsd).
chris

sinbad

Advanced Member
Welcome buddy, I swapped from a 350z to a DC5, fire away if you have any questions

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
sinbad said:
Welcome buddy, I swapped from a 350z to a DC5, fire away if you have any questions
how did you rate the 350z?

i looked at getting one after my dc5 but i opted for the s2000 instead due to it being lighter, better fuel economy, better looking (imo), and of course a honda!! from what i read on the 350z they are quite predictable/controllable with oversteer. But they feel like a heavy car?!

sinbad

Advanced Member
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33560&hilit=350z

Ive driven a S2000 back to back with a 350z and the S2k felt slower, I also found this during my ownership. The S2k is definately more nimble but the handling is much more edgy and I found the 350z to be more fun in general, the s2k seems like you need full commitment to get the most from it were the Zed hit the sweet spot quite easily, this would mean in my eyes that it would have to be quite dry and clear for yor to get some fun out of the s2k. It does feel heavy but it carries the weight quite well with the engine torque it has and large brakes. You can feel the weight in the bends but again the susepension handles it quite well and its very predictable on the edge. I wouldnt however say the zed was oversteery, it has mild understeer which turns quite nuetral when on the power. At slow speeds any rwd will get sideways though, so maybe this is what your referring to.

Compared to the Dc5 its a totally different car, dc5's lighter, fwd and high revving. fuel consumptions similar and servicing costs are similar too.

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
sinbad said:
http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=33560&hilit=350z

Ive driven a S2000 back to back with a 350z and the S2k felt slower, I also found this during my ownership. The S2k is definately more nimble but the handling is much more edgy and I found the 350z to be more fun in general, the s2k seems like you need full commitment to get the most from it were the Zed hit the sweet spot quite easily, this would mean in my eyes that it would have to be quite dry and clear for yor to get some fun out of the s2k. It does feel heavy but it carries the weight quite well with the engine torque it has and large brakes. You can feel the weight in the bends but again the susepension handles it quite well and its very predictable on the edge. I wouldnt however say the zed was oversteery, it has mild understeer which turns quite nuetral when on the power. At slow speeds any rwd will get sideways though, so maybe this is what your referring to.

Compared to the Dc5 its a totally different car, dc5's lighter, fwd and high revving. fuel consumptions similar and servicing costs are similar too.

that was a good read, cheers for the link. The major thing that put me off the 350z was the fuel consumption, i was on the 350z forum to ask a few questions about them and everyone said that it was around £60-£70 to fill (bigger tank that the teg) and that i would be luucky to get 250miles out of it. I do like the looks of the 350z but for me the s2000 was the car i always wanted from 17. i was really suprised that the 350z was only 2 seats aswell when i looked in one for the first time, I thought it would have those 2 mini seats like the tt's. If it had these then i may have been swayed a bit mor to it. i watched a touge video where they tested the s2000 against the 350z and they cam to a similair conclusion that the 350z pulled more due to the bigger engine, but the s2000 was quicker round the corners and more nimble. They were really impressed witht eh 350z though, but they like the touge monster more :D

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
There's a guy i work with who has recently (6 months ago perhaps) got a 350Z and he's averaging 23MPG out of his...

Bear in mind he is 60 aswell even though he dosen't hang about :lol:

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
sovietspybob said:
There's a guy i work with who has recently (6 months ago perhaps) got a 350Z and he's averaging 23MPG out of his...

Bear in mind he is 60 aswell even though he dosen't hang about :lol:

i think i am averaging about 30mpg in the s2000, mostly motorway driving with a bit of town commuting. the s2000 has a 50ltr tank and i am getting 300miles out of each full tank so cant really complain. Every time i fill up there is between 5-8 litres left in the tank so it works out to be just over 30mpg

sinbad

Advanced Member
I got anywhere between 26 - 32mpg, i did at the time alot of motorway miles so i often achieved 32mpg on a regular basis.

I love the S2K, even contemplated one if I sold the Dc5. Just that I do rate the 350z after owning one for 2 years. It seriously wouldnt bother me if I was chossing between an S2k and a 350z which one I got. Both great cars.

At the minute though I dont want to sell my charged 5

yokomo

i love the z especially now ive got it how i want it but just cabt afford the running costs now im living alone .
rwd is fun and really dont want to give that up but theres so few rwd cars out there these days sep bmws and older jap cars.
the z has a very lazy yank muscle feel but as others have said the chasis handles it self well shame its so dang heavy ! if it was s15 weight it would be a real beast , the last gen HR engines tune to 330bhp easy !
sinbad how did you get on wiht the need to rev vs trundling the z ?
does the dc5 pickup ok from say 30 in 5th , have run vs a mates tuned ep3 and he wins so i know they fly when the revs are up and tou want it .
the age of mpg question ... another local mate has stock ep3 doing 5 miles a day and hes getting same mpg as me ! so whats it like on say8 mile trips all dual carrige ??
finally will the dash need a mph conversion >??

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Interesting read... as I'm about to actively sell my DC5 (just had a full detail on it), the next ride I want is the 350Z... just nice to know on owners views switching from that back to Honda.

David Fox

Advanced Member
My Dad had a 350Z. He has had some brilliant cars, both before and since the 350Z, but he remains defiant that the 350Z was the best handling car he has owned. He never stopped smiling in it, really chuckable in the corners. It went well too, and sounded the business. His only gripes of the car were he felt the interior wasn't as well screwed together as the DC5, nor was the paintwork brilliant. It wasn't terrible, but not what you expected on (at the time) a newish car. I drove it many times and I was smitten with the car, in fact I was going to buy it off him when I had the DC5 the first time round, but circumstances changed so I was unable to.

As a second-hand motor today, there are a bargain IMO. Forget the mpg, it's a big engine, it wasn't meant to be economical.

sinbad

Advanced Member
Yeah real bargain. My mate sold his 44k miler for 4.5k!!

Solid cars too, so nothing much should go wrong, just ensure its been well serviced and maintenance items are replenished.