Hi can an incorrect map cause the same cylinder to keep break pistonsvinbetweennthe rings??? Help!!

TurboDC5

Hi I am new to this site and would like some help please

I have a turbo dc5 and have recently had it all set up mapped etc but I am now on my third engine with the same problem and all that is original is the injectors turbo and ecu

Can someone give me some advice or help at all to resolve this problem as I now getting rather annoyed and haven't gotta clue why this keeps happening

It keeps breaking the piston in the same cylinder between the rings on all 3 engines can a map do this?

Any help much appreciated

Thank you so much!!

Emma

X

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Hi Emma,

More information may help. What turbo kit are you running? What injectors and what ECU?

You say you've gone through 3 engines? Has all the work been done by yourself and where are you going for the mapping?

beppe786

Beppe
If the map wasn't right to begin with might be the cause all along.. heat causes the piston to crack melt. I would datalog closely.. make sure your not running too lean.. check 02 sensor is reading ok and knock sensor is working.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
as above, ive got some questions-

what turbo kit? how is boost controlled? how much boost? what ecu? what injectors, ? who did the map?? got any pictures of the damage?

TurboDC5

Hi everyone

Thanks for getting back to me

I did all the work (mechanically) I am a mechanic

Turbo kit is a t3t4 Gramms 1000cc injectors k3 Hondaata ecu 4 bar maf sensor all set up by tdi north in Warrington something is wrong clearly

10 psi spring in waste gate I will try get some pics of the damage later on today

Thanks guys

X

beppe786

Beppe
common cause of piston cracking is heat so look at fueling plus could be knocking make sure your knock sensor is working..

TurboDC5

Lol I have have the pump out and updated that too

This is so annoying!! It's sitting there looking sorry for itself at the moment I will have another look over it all again :-(

Will get some pics for you guys suppose that rude of me x

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Pure guess but looks like it could potentially be an oil starvation issue. For the side to break down like that suggests the cylinder may be too dry?

What sort of power is it running? Could it need an uprated oil pump perhaps or a baffled sump at the least?

Either that or its running lean but TDI would have checked AFR I would have thought

TurboDC5

Hi

It's running 330bhp and the sump has already been baffled tdi north said nothing to be honest just phone us three days after it was plastered all over Facebook my engine had blown up etc...

:-( I haven't a clue

hondazzz

Advanced Member
well.. if you have gone through 3 engines and had the same exact problem.. the same cylinder each time.. maybe is something that you transfer from each engine to the other.. for example that cylinder's Coilpack? Injector? or something on the cylinder head(if you used the same,although cant imagine something at the cylinder head could cause that)

then again.. am wondering if the damage could be caused by a/f ,ignition and such.. not sure,if so..is not the map either.

Is that a stock internal engine? i mean no new rings installed?

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Its actually damaged the piston lands which is pretty servere :/ if i had to hazard a guess i would say you may have over fuelling on cylinder 3 due to a possible faulty injector and this could be washing the bore and causing a lack of lubrication

Id be inclined to get your injectors flow tested, seems strange its happened on 3 engines on the same cylinder, points to injector IMO

kazmo

Advanced Member
as said before is sounds like something you are not changing but swapping between engines for you to have the same problem in the same place every time, you say yr a mechanic? where do you work, no where I go hopefully lol