HID Ballast Problem

-Woody-

Advanced Member
HIDs not working, Ballast blown, Lights out (for those who search ;) )

My drivers side HID went out a few days ago. Noticed it blew the 20 fuse in the engine bay, changed that and it blew again. Checked the bulb - not sure what im suppose to be looking for on HIDs :lol: there are no signs of burn or melted wires in the bulb so checked the earthing at the point of contact to the car, no luck.

Then i had a quick search and found this topic;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=29909

Took my balast out to have a look, no sign of the same connection? Or am i looking at the wrong part?

As you can see theres quite a bit of what looks like...limescale...? Im guessin this may be due to the condensation in the light.

Having a look for the earth and it seems to be from the back of the bulb and balast and goes into the rest of the wiring that i dont fancy cutting up. So a dead end there, you can see the silver wiring at the top of this wire - the earth?

So what next to check, the balast i guess! Through the time i was working round the balast i could smell a warm electrics/wire smell. Not burning though. Smelt it before when ive taken the lights out so thought nothing of it but thought id take a look at the balast. Found this :shock:

Goin to try get hold of another one but what if it wasnt the balast - could just burn out the next one. Any ideas?

dave c

400hp K20
Re: Found my HID problem...i hope

Erm, Tcut :? ?

I'll shut the door after me lol

-Woody-

Advanced Member

I was thinking more along the lines of window wiper lol
Im kind of glad im not the only one that is baffled by it really. Will just get a new ballast and hope it sorts it.

-Woody-

Advanced Member

My ballast seems different from others...it has no connection at the top for the earth. Can anyone shed some light on this?

-Woody-

Advanced Member

My HIDs are back up and working! :) Just thought id add to this just incase people get the same problem in the future.

As you can see pictured below it shows the difference between the two ballasts. Mine must have been one of the first?? The earth comes down the ballast wire but then coils back earthing at the metal of the headlight, very strange and looked factory set up. After some rewiring i have now earthed on the new ballast and all working just in time for my MOT! - Thanks to James(Jammygit) for supplying the ballast :xcheers:

New(but used) on the left, My old one on the right.

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Hmmm, my ballast is the same as the one on the left and my DC5 is a 2001 on a Y plate.