Hid headlight problem

jonahdc5

Advanced Member
Hi this has probably been covered a million times so i apologise in advance have searched it quite abit but not finding the answers im after. So here goes i got in my car this morning and went to turn my lights on and my drivers side low beam (hid) started flickering then stopped working now everytime i switch my lights all im getting is a very faint pink glow from it???
Does this sound like the bulb has gone, or the ballest pack or possible something else loose connection etc??

I have kind off been waiting for a bulb or ballast to go as i would like to upgrade to 6000k bulbs anyway so any recommendations on bulbs? Also if its a bulb gone and not the ballast will the original ballasts handle 6000k bulbs as i relise the standard ones are only 4300k??

If it turns out to be the ballast that is faulty would i be better off to replace the hid kit with an aftermarket one and if so any recommendations?? Its just it seems the standard ballast dont seem very reliable and from what i have read seem to let moisture in which causes them to stop working? or would it be worth me sourcing a second hand standard ballast as there is a few in the for sale section?

Just not sure what route to go down to be honest?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
So yes 6000k bulbs will be fine in the OEM Ballasts.

If the ballast is dead and you want to replace with an aftermarket kit these are the ones that I was going to get (was recommended on here i believe)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HID-XENON-HEADLIGHT-KITS-H1-H3-H7-H11-D2R-D2S-9006-9007?item=220696220438&cmd=ViewItem&_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D5%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7048365280343481608

Just need to specify 6000k bulbs when ordering mate.

I got lucky and got my ballasts and ignitors (OEM ones) for £45 mate but Ive been looking for a while and never seen them go this cheap for a set.

Hope this helps

jonahdc5

Advanced Member
Ok thanks alot for your help mate just gave them a quick call they seem very cheap :xhappy: matey reckoned they are quite simple to wire in will just have to decide where to install the new ballasts if i go down that route and i take it where the original ballast fit to the lights at the moment there will be a hole left which will need to be sealed? Does anyone have a how to guide on this which i could have a look through to see whats involved-couldnt find one on here yesterday to be honest dont find the search function on here particularly useful maybe its just me?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I ran mines open for months bate (over a year) without issue

Yeah you'll see some condensation when it cold etc but it will go away. These are fully sealed headlights either.

If your really concerned just source a rubber bung of sorts and try that.

Hope this helps

Gordon

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I ran mines open for months bate (over a year) without issue

Yeah you'll see some condensation when it cold etc but it will go away. These are fully sealed headlights either.

If your really concerned just source a rubber bung of sorts and try that.

Hope this helps

Gordon

jonahdc5

Advanced Member
My only concern is with this ebay kit is does it use cheap chinese bulbs??Though it does come with 1yrs warranty! would i be better of ordering a kit from hids4u or similiar?

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I'm running cheap 6k at the moment in the OEM setup once they bite the bullet I'll upgrade. Doesn't seem to bad tbh but hids4u is an option also.

HTH

Woppywop

Advanced Member
Mine did the same thing... Chap who was working on my car replaced a fuse, jobs a good'un, came straight back to life.

sn:afu

Advanced Member
Mine did the same thing... Chap who was working on my car replaced a fuse, jobs a good'un, came straight back to life.
On just one or for both of them?

I've got quite bad condensation in my drivers side headlight and now the HID has stopped working.

Does anyone know the best to test to see which bit is broken; whether its the bulb igniter or ballast?

Woppywop

Advanced Member
On just one or for both of them?
Yeah it was just the N/S one that went funny, basically he was fitting my rear fog and buggered the fuse for the Headlight... god knows how he managed that but he did.

sn:afu

Advanced Member
Yeah it was just the N/S one that went funny, basically he was fitting my rear fog and buggered the fuse for the Headlight... god knows how he managed that but he did.
Might go and check that then before I start looking for replacement bulbs/kits etc xthumbup

Dan2020

Advanced Member
Sounds just like the bulb has gone, exactly what happened to mine. Here a "how to" I did on removal of the bumper and headlight:

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/24307-front-bumper-headlight-removal/

cpoh

Advanced Member
This is a common problem, take out the headlight and silicone up the part where the lens meets the frame the full way around. It should leak anymore then.