Hidden Immobilization

ricardoqld

Question for the group. Can anyone suggest a simple way to immobilize the DC5, making it theft proof, even against thieves with electronic gadgets ?

Some time ago I had a Mazda, and could do this very quickly and simply. Pop the bonnet, pull the clips off the distributor cap, and pull the rotor off. Straight into my pocket.Would have taken the thief a month to work out the rotor was missing. And very unlikely he would have had one handy, ready to pop-in....

jay.dee

Advanced Member
Wire a rocker switch to the fuel relay - although that is how most immobs work

Splink

Advanced Member
yer thats the best way to do it. But if the theif finds it, then its easy to get around. A dial switch is a little more complicated, coz then there are about 4-8 settings to choose from before the link is live. Tbh, if you have a switch there, and they spend more than 2 mins in the car looking for it, they will rip your car apart inside to find it, hence the reason for not disclosing a tracker if you have it fitted.

If they want the car that bad, they will get it....

ricardoqld

Thanks. Fuel circuit seems to be the way to go.
The normal immobilizer would activate a fuel cut off valve (I am only guessing) which is closed until energised (fail safe).
Is there also an electric fuel pump on the DC5 ? Might be able to tap into that wire in a hidden place somewhere, and put in a fuseable link that can be removed and taken away easily...

Someone told me to take out a HT lead, but I think that is so obvious the thief would spot it, dash home, and be back in 5 mins with a generic replacement :)

Cheers
R.

Splink

Advanced Member
I think there is a wire for the fuel from the ECU. Not too sure, but if this is the case, all you would have to do is make a fuse holder for it and get some random wierd shaped fuse holder. Wire this up somewhere, and then just take out the fuse?

If I am totally going mad, and there is no direct wire off the ECU, then just forget everything :)