Hid's

LAT

Hey guys, this might have been covered before but I cannot find any threads. One of my lights is out and it looks like it's the ballast rather than the bulb itself.

I was thinking about using an after market kit (plug and play) and fitting it rather than trying to source an oem ballast. Has this been done before and if so could someone point me in the right direction? What is the bulb size? And kits on eBay that would suffice for now?

Thanks in advance.

kyle'87

Advanced Member
I don't have any experience with this regarding my DC5 but I have installed HIDS in both my previous cars.

I've always used HIDS4U as they seem to be the best in terms of quality and customer service. I always go for the more expensive kits based on the assumption that they are of better quality and the glass for the bulbs handles temperature changes better (probably aren't and don't).

The only thing I would say is that the ballasts with have to be mounted somewhere, as the ballast on the DC5 is under the headlight and removing them would leave a hole which moisture will get into and mist the headlights. I would also imagine the aftermarket kits plug into the existing wiring loom as well.

Might be worth seeing if any breakers on eBay can sell you a ballast to keep it OEM?

badeshi

Advanced Member
I also have a set from hids4u. Seem fine. I had connection problems for a while but fixed with zip tie to hold cable into ballast.
Customer service is very good. I had a bulb fail and they sent me a full set free of charge!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

LAT

Thanks for the into guys! Badeshi, have you got a link to the ones you bought?

What are the bulb size guys?

Thank you

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
Actually check the connections between the ballast and the bulb first. I had a problem a few years back with one of my lights dying. Turned out it was a dodgy wire in the plug on the ballast. Pushing the wire back in and some electrical tape and it has been fine for at least 2 years now.

Jack

kahn_v

Advanced Member
anyone know how to wire them up? the ones i got aint just plug and play
have to cut into the original loom which i don't want to do

badeshi

Advanced Member
This is what I have but can't quickly find same ones on the site at Mo....

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
badeshi said:
This is what I have but can't quickly find same ones on the site at Mo....

Same as what I got. Requires some fabrication though.

Had to sand/dremel into the light unit so that I could run the wires with the light cover on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
I just had my kit turn up, do I need an adapter to connect the leads to the ballasts on the oval port? If so, do you know what it's called?

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
WraithPriest said:
I just had my kit turn up, do I need an adapter to connect the leads to the ballasts on the oval port? If so, do you know what it's called?
You don't need an adapter as you won't be connecting to the ballasts, as far as I am aware.

All that is required is in the kit, although I needed to use a metal bracket to secure the HID kit so it didn't knock about. I say I, TGM did it all.

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
You don't need an adapter as you won't be connecting to the ballasts, as far as I am aware.

All that is required is in the kit, although I needed to use a metal bracket to secure the HID kit so it didn't knock about. I say I, TGM did it all.

Sorry buddy, I see the confusion, I meant the oval on the new ballast, for others who might have fitted it, I mean this:

https://imgur.com/Bh5QUWY

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
How are these compared to OEM, and what do they cost?

Mine has an aftermarket kit in, but it's pony. Wouldn't mind something a bit better.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
How are these compared to OEM, and what do they cost?

Mine has an aftermarket kit in, but it's pony. Wouldn't mind something a bit better.
The kit and some side light bulbs cost me £81 delivered. Better than the £300 or so for a genuine Honda ballast. And I'm pretty sure that price is only for one.

Can't comment on how good they are versus OEM as mine came over with some excrement aftermarket kit.

WraithPriest said:
Sorry buddy, I see the confusion, I meant the oval on the new ballast, for others who might have fitted it, I mean this:

https://imgur.com/Bh5QUWY
Ah gotcha. I'm of no use as I was only casually watching what Tom and Dave were doing. Sorry.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
Does anyone have the kit for the full beam lights too?

Mine has some awful aftermarket kit on the main beams and and full beams so I need to order both...

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
So turns out there's no instructions or wiring relay harness in this box.

Good job I hadn't pulled the car apart first! I'm pretty sure that is what I need.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
WraithPriest said:
So turns out there's no instructions or wiring relay harness in this box.

Good job I hadn't pulled the car apart first! I'm pretty sure that is what I need.
I'm no mechanic. Took one look and thought, this is not a job for me, and added it to Toms to do list ha ha.

Bumper will obviously need to come off though.

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
I'm no mechanic. Took one look and thought, this is not a job for me, and added it to Toms to do list ha ha.
Bumper will obviously need to come off though.
Yeah, I've had a peek and it seems doable (swapped the OEM headlights for the Spec D ones and had to wire them in earlier this year - don't bother by the way, they look quite cool, but they're like driving with candles) so this should be easy enough.

Just a damn shame I probably won't see the harness in time to get it done this week. Bah.

kahn_v

Advanced Member
Can someone take a pic of the connections and how they've done it
I know it's just two wires but that pic will help a lot of people

k!ng

Advanced Member
Good shout my wires are hacked to death by a previous owner who fitted aftermarket halo lights. I've got new oem hid headlights to be fitted soon. Any help appreciated