High Cold Idle. Help!

bennn

Advanced Member
I've been chasing a high cold idle since I've owned the car and still haven't managed to find it.

You start the car cold and it sits around 2.2k rpm but then climbs to 2.5k. When you start driving and put the clutch back in it will shoot up to 3k rpm and get stuck there until the car has warmed up.

When fully warm its around 1100rpm which is still a bit high.

The idle isn't what I'd call lumpy when warm but does fluctuate slightly (100rpm up or down)

So far I've done the following:

Cleaned IACV (which seemed fine and freely moving anyway)
Replaced the TB gasket
Replaced the inlet manifold gasket.

I can't find any air leaks and am a bit of a loss as to what to try next to be honest.

I know that my car in particular has been previously modified but was put back to standard before I bought it (K100, RBC, gruppe M, full spoon system etc.) not sure if that's got anything to do with it.

It did look it had been put back together not particularly well to be honest as the gaskets had obviously been reused and were pretty knackered.

I've found loose / wrong bolts in numerous places which have all now been replaced and are nice and tight.

I know there is a cold start valve on the inlet manifold that some people blank off (have seen Wocka's removed his) could this possibly cause the problem?

Any advice appreciated.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
Mine does the same thing, i can drive down the road just using the cold idle revs as itstys so high for a few minutes

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

bennn

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
Mine does the same thing, i can drive down the road just using the cold idle revs as itstys so high for a few minutes

Yeah thats right. It's a real pain in the ass for me as I live up a track with loads of potholes so it's hard trying to drive slow enough down it with the car revving its nuts off all the while.

It's not normal as I'm sure my previous EP3s and DC5s didn't do it.

bxlheathsupra

Advanced Member
I just looked it up a d a few usa guys have the same thing said its normal and to just let the cr warm up a bit before pulling away

bennn

Advanced Member
bxlyheathsupra said:
I just looked it up a d a few usa guys have the same thing said its normal and to just let the cr warm up a bit before pulling away

Its definitely not normal mate. My old type rs didn't do it. I know they do idle around 2k but in my old ones they would drop down to 1.5k after a minute or so and then back down again.

bennn

Advanced Member
Elliot438 said:
throttle body stuck open a little bit?
Nope I adjusted the throttle to make sure it was closed before putting the air pipe back on!

I've been told to try an idle relearn and also calibrating the TPS if this doesn't work.

Will update if I get to the bottom of it!

Vteccin_teg

Advanced Member
Use shell V power and put some redex in. Take it for a long hard blast on the motorway.
Or Could the accelerator cable be sticking on the last bit. Try pulling the pedal towards you abit when you first start the beast up.
If it's sticking try some wd-40 on the cable.

bennn

Advanced Member
Vteccin_teg said:
Use shell V power and put some redex in. Take it for a long hard blast on the motorway.
Or Could the accelerator cable be sticking on the last bit. Try pulling the pedal towards you abit when you first start the beast up.
If it's sticking try some wd-40 on the cable.
Thanks for the post I'm afriad I don't think that's going to help.

Its always been ran on 99 from Tesco and I'm keen to avoid redex if I can. Previous experience is this causes more problems than it solves. I don't think its a case of just giving it welly as I'm pretty sure its had that for the last 152k miles ;)

The accelerator cable isn't sticking and is adjusted as it should - I should have mentioned that.

I've also since tried an idle relearn which hasn't done anything either.

Having done more research I came across this thread

http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/44935-idle-problems-ecu-change/

A few posters have had similar issues so after reading the above I'm starting to think the TPS needs calibrating. Its been replaced sometime prior to my ownership and the car has also idled oddly since I've had it so I'm going to have a go at this and report back.

bennn

Advanced Member
I calibrated the TPS last night and then did an idle relearn which seems to have solved the issue. Thought I would note this down incase anyone like me finds this thread in years to come!

bennn

Advanced Member
And its back again! Don't know if its the colder weather or what but back starting off at 2k rpm then shooting up to 3k after 30 seconds or so.

Also got an annoying judder now when on part throttle at around 2k revs when moving but only when its cold.

When its warm its absolutely fine still.

Wocka is kindly sorting me out with a blanking kit for the AAV so hopefully that will help, after that I'm going to try calibrating the TPS and relearning the idle again and if that doesn't work I think I'm going to try and find a second hand throttle body with the sensors on it.