High Idling

yunster

Advanced Member
Hi All,

I know this topic has been covered many many times but i am trying to get some advice specific to the issue i am seeing. I have read a tonne of posts on here and other forums about idling issues and how to troubleshoot IACV, TPS, cooling system. vacuum leaks, Air bypass thermal valve and pcv but still cannot pin point my issue.

Here is what i am seeing

I had the timing chain and TB cleaned recently and ever since getting the car back the idling would sit high at 1500 when warm and erradictly bounce to 2000 randomly. First thing i checked was IACV and TPS. I took TB /IACV off and cleaned it thoroughly till it was spinning freely but when putting back on first time round the hunting issue which i never had before occurred. I then had to adjust the IACV slightly which stopped the hunting but the high idling was still there. The bouncing to 2000 wasnt as bad but still there when warm.

I then checked TPS, cooling system and vacuum leaks which seemed good so the next step was to check the PCV and Air bypass thermal valve. I started reading several posts about the Air bypass thermal valve which sits between the IM and Air intake and is what i need some help with.
So from reading about it on a post below, it seems that the valve should be closed when the engine is warm and upto temperature.
The questions i have are:
1, When the car is upto temperature should i not be getting a vacuum from the end connecting to air intake? Currently my car has vacuum from it when engine is hot.
2, can this be the cause of the high idle?

http://www.itr-dc5.com/forum/index.php?/topic/18039-rev-hang-on-cold-starts/page-2?hl=%20high%20%20idle

There are many posts which people have bypassed this valve. So i did further tests with the 2 hoses and here is what i can see:
When engine is hot / high idle (1500) and i pinch the hose connected from valve to air intake nothing happens, but when i pinch the hose between the valve and IM the idle drops back down to normal.

I was tempted to buy new IACV but wanted to check this air bypass valve first before doing so.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Steve

BenLAST

Advanced Member
I've sure you can black this valve off, as I remember on my EP3 I cracked the casing and instead of replacing I got a plug to screw into the inlet manifold and blanked it completely.

Have you checked for any air leaks, especially around the TB and inlet manifold gaskets?

yunster

Advanced Member
BenLAST said:
I've sure you can black this valve off, as I remember on my EP3 I cracked the casing and instead of replacing I got a plug to screw into the inlet manifold and blanked it completely.

Have you checked for any air leaks, especially around the TB and inlet manifold gaskets?
thanks for your response. I tried blanking this valve off which helped a little when cold but the issue still occurs when car has warmed up. I have also since replaced the IACV with brand new one which has the same effect.
I have also checked for air leaks and there definitely isn't any. Checked the throttle body and inlet manifold gaskets.

I think i have checked everything i have found on the internet relating to this type of issue. I know that the Thermal air bypass valve is stuck open is there is still vacuum when the car has warmed up. I am tempted to replace this anyway.
The last resort is to get the map looked at. I am at a lost now as i have tried everything and the car is starting to annoy me after 10 years of stress free driving. Trying to get hold of Tom to see what else he suggests.

Cheers

BenLAST

Advanced Member
No fault codes im guessing?

Might be wise to get the mapper to take a look as you said, and see exactly whats happening. He can check how the TPS throttle position sensor is working then.

yunster

Advanced Member
BenLAST said:
No fault codes im guessing?

Might be wise to get the mapper to take a look as you said, and see exactly whats happening. He can check how the TPS throttle position sensor is working then.
Yeh no fault codes. Wish there was to be honest as it would be alot easier to fix. Speaking to both TGM and Romain so will hopefully sort it out by end of the year.

Thanks for your suggestions.

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Romain is a top guy, had my EK mapped by him a few times. That was years ago tho, glad to see hes still going strong at Eurospec!

yunster

Advanced Member
Thanks Danny,

I had checked the TPS which looked okay but i will probably check it again.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
BenLAST said:
Id plug my own laptop in then if that's the case and monitor the TPS
noob alert, i want to do this with my krpo but have no idea how to use kmanager.

what tab etc do i click on to monitor the TPS, and what values should it be getting?

cheers

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Jeez it's been years since I used kmanager myself, had kpro on my Ep3 but K100 on the teg so not much help with that haha

yunster

Advanced Member
Just downloaded Kmanager and found a USB cable so will give it a go tomorrow. Never used before but will give it a go ensuring that i don't change any settings. :)

Cheers

BenLAST

Advanced Member
Depending on who did the map on the car (I'm guessing Romain?) it'll be locked so you can't change anything.

I'm sure when downloading Kmanager it comes with a helpful guide that explains on the tabs and functions. I spent hours reading it first time round

yunster

Advanced Member
Idling issue finally sorted. After checking everything and running out of ideas, turns out that the map just needed a small tweak. Romain suggested that possibly the cleaning of the throttle body meant that more air was getting through and by closing the iacv slightly stabilised the idling. 10 min job done.
Since i had Romain's time and a free rolling road it was rude not to have a remap and the car feels awesome again. I can enjoy the car again. Now that's an awesome Xmas present.

I now have a brand new IACV which i tested on the car once and have as spare. If someone is after one i can part with it at a good price. :)