High pitched noise coming from the intake manifold area

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Drove the Teg for the first time in a few weeks yesterday and half way into the drive I heard what sounded like the alternator belt screeching. I *think* it rises and falls with the engine revs, and it definitely sounds like a belt when you turn the engine off as there is what sounds like belt slip. However the noise is coming from the intake manifold area, possible underneath it and closer to the airbox side than the belt itself.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ar91VtA-qfT8geZZRry4mZLSF7WjjQ

I'm not sure if that link works as OneDrive is blocked in work.

Any ideas?

SamDC5

Advanced Member
If you can replicate the belt screeching sound then spray some WD40 onto the belt itself as it's running. If the screech goes away temporarily then you know it's the belt.

I can't think of anything else that would make a screeching sound on that side of the engine personally. Alternator or water pump bearings can also make an awful noise.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
To my ears it's definitely not the belt. Where is the water pump located as this is what I thought initially when I had the bonnet open.

Liam

Advanced Member
Air leak from the inlet mani to the head perhaps? That can sometimes result in a high pitched squealing/ whistling.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Just spoke to Tom at TGM, he said it's either the pulley tensioner, PAS pump or alternator. I said it sounded more like around the intake manifold and he said that the RBC is known to crack and it could be that. He said to spray some brake cleaner over it and see if the engine starts laboring. He said it's fine to drive so I'll probably take it down tomorrow or something.

SamDC5

Advanced Member
If you take a long screw driver, put one end on the suspected part e.g power steering pump and the other to your ear you should be able to hear bearings/pulley noise.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
It was the RBC adaptor plate which was really loose. One of the bolts needed a few turns and to be honest all needed tightening.