High Revs on start up, & Kangaroo effect...

Quincy

Just recently the car has started revving very high upon first ignition. It reached 4000 & stayed at that for roughly 2 mins, then was surging up and down for another minute or two. I know it usually starts high to get warm, but this was very different to the normal start up! In addition to this happening, the car also started to jump/jerk forward quiet noticeably between 2nd, 3rd & forth gears (not in low revs either)...Giving the Vtec a good lash didn't resolve it. So having looked at previous threads on here, the cause usually tended to be the IACV (idle air control valve).

So today I got the IACV cleaned out, (also replaced the fuel filter).... Since then its been driving perfectly,all starts were fine & no Kangarooing forward! Fingers crossed that when I first start it in the morning, it wont rev high.

Anyone else have these issues & successfully sorted them?

Benneh

Advanced Member
As you've identified yourself, common symptoms of the idle control valve playing up. Bit of elbow grease and it's as good as new for a fairly long time again!

Quincy

Good to hear, I was hoping it wasn't just a short term fix. The IACV is expensive enough to replace!