Hissing from the rear of the car...

rick c

Advanced Member
I've just stripped out the rear of the car ready for a trip to the 'ring, and the loss of sound proofing has made me notice a new noise.

When I turn the engine on there's a slight 'hissing' sound coming from the back somewhere.

I don't think its an exhaust leak. Does the fuel filter or pump hiss by any chance?

LA-DC5 ITR

Advanced Member
rick c said:
and the loss of sound proofing
what sound proofing? :xconfused:

mine is stripped & i get a whistle when the window is open, its just the air blowing through the holes etc. also i can hear every stone & raindrop hitting the underside of the car.

rick c

Advanced Member
So there shouldn't be a hissing noise of any type? I'd better look into it more in that case. Must be the exhaust then?

rick c

Advanced Member
LA-DC5 ITR said:
fuel pump is a buzz not a hiss
I presume the fuel pump would be located in the circular section near the rear bench that has the wire going to it?

I must admit it didn't strike me as being an electrical noise at first (i.e. a buzz) but I'll have a more careful listen later and try to locate the source of the noise exactly.

celox performance

Advanced Member
You'll hear a lot more noises once you've stripped the rear. You'll be able to hear the fuel pump and exhaust more. I had what could be described as a hiss coming from the fuel pump or exhaust when mine was stripped, but I can't remember which it was now :?

rick c

Advanced Member
OK its definitely not the exhaust.

I've just got under the car and its coming from the fuel tank area. Its definitely the fuel pump / filter.

It sounds like if you shake a fizzy bottle and open the lid just a little, its like a fizzing liquid sound.

Its very noticeable, and when I put my foot down it gets lounder and (I think) increases in pitch.

If noone else has this then I can only imagine my fuel filter isn't properly attached?

rick c

Advanced Member
Booked it in with Honda on Monday to take a look at it. I go to the 'ring on Wednesday so I hope there isn't a problem

When I floor it the noise is a bit like having a turbocharger sitting in the car (albeit a quiet one!) Very strange. Hope Honda know what they're doing with it =;

George K

Advanced Member
Fuel tanks are semi sealed nowadays to stop fumes. iirc there should be a filter on the breather and also a one way valve (air in only) on the filler cap. Quick test is to take the cap off and see if the hissing stops.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
rick c said:
Booked it in with Honda on Monday to take a look at it. I go to the 'ring on Wednesday so I hope there isn't a problem

When I floor it the noise is a bit like having a turbocharger sitting in the car (albeit a quiet one!) Very strange. Hope Honda know what they're doing with it =;
I doubt a Honda dealer would have any special insight into DC5 "problems" as they never imported or sold them. :roll:

Anyhow, "hissing like a Turbo charger" is the noise of the exhaust gasses escaping through the car's exhaust system, perfectly normal.. The fact that the noise increases when you floor it supports that also.

rick c

Advanced Member
Just an update for anyone who might come across this later...

I've just had a neighbour round who's a mechanic and he's confirmed its just the fuel pump and perfectly normal.

Weird that I never had that noise in my 306 and I had the interior stripped in that most of the time. But then the fuel pump/filter is much closer to the front in the Teg.

Dc5Dub07

Advanced Member
rick c said:
Just an update for anyone who might come across this later...
I've just had a neighbour round who's a mechanic and he's confirmed its just the fuel pump and perfectly normal.
Weird that I never had that noise in my 306 and I had the interior stripped in that most of the time. But then the fuel pump/filter is much closer to the front in the Teg.
Also just to add, that noise like a "low-hissing sound" can also appear as if its coming from the front of the car... Just noticed it on the motorway now that i have a baffle in the exhaust, the car is real quiet so i can hear little noises like that..