Honda Teg DC5 Type R FL Performance Brake Disc Recommendation.

yeezy

Advanced Member
Hi guys, hope you all had a good weekend.

Basically, I need some advice on break disc as I need to replace the stock rear disc, therefore, I planning to change all 4 corners as well as the pads.

The current set up are all OEM goods, brakes and disc.

I would like to have the disc grooved, dimpled or combination of both. For performance and visual enhancement purpose. Budget varies depending on brand, but not looking to spend silly amount £150 to £200 on a pair of disc is ok providing they are tried and trusted.

Pads, was thinking of the Ferodo FDS1561. Never used these pads from the past but heard they were good.

Both Pads and disc are mainly used for fast road, as I hardly hit track these days.

Have anyone tried the 2 piece disc currently selling on ebay? They look pretty good, but not sure if they are just for looks and no performance as its kinda cheap for £200 for the pair.

I have attach an image and link for the 2 piece disc mentioned.

ebay link below:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-INTEGRA-DC5-JDM-2001-2-PIECE-GROOVED-BRAKE-DISCS-/320500349643?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item4a9f4f3acb

Any recommendation is much appreciative.

Cheers guys

Attachments

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Simply, don't fit cheap rubbish email eBay brakes on your car. They will be cheap for a reason and brakes are one of the most important bits of the car. More so if you are using the car on track

molten-ice

Advanced Member
I have the MTEC grooved discs front and rear, ferodo DS performance pads (DS2000) , HEL lines and ATE super blue fluid, cant rate it highly enough for road use!

Get the odd squeel at low speeds , but no issues

Great bite from cold compared to DS2500 pads .

If i remember correctly i was between £350-£400 for the discs/pads/fluid and lines for all 4 corners.

yeezy

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
Simply, don't fit cheap rubbish email eBay brakes on your car. They will be cheap for a reason and brakes are one of the most important bits of the car. More so if you are using the car on track
Totally agree with you regarding brakes as one of the most important component in a car "wingnuttzz" but can't help asking, as the image shown on the ebay listing looks pretty good. But for the prize, it seems to good to be true for a 2 piece brake disc.

yeezy

Advanced Member
molten-ice said:
I have the MTEC grooved discs front and rear, ferodo DS performance pads (DS2000) , HEL lines and ATE super blue fluid, cant rate it highly enough for road use!

Get the odd squeel at low speeds , but no issues
Great bite from cold compared to DS2500 pads .

If i remember correctly i was between £350-£400 for the discs/pads/fluid and lines for all 4 corners.
Cheers Molten-ice for the advice buddy. Can you kindly tell me where you get the M-tec disc, ferodo DS performance pads (DS2000) , HEL lines and ATE super blue fluid, from please? Did you purchased all the items from TGM? Thanks in advance, i look forward to hear from you.

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
yeezy said:
Totally agree with you regarding brakes as one of the most important component in a car "wingnuttzz" but can't help asking, as the image shown on the ebay listing looks pretty good. But for the prize, it seems to good to be true for a 2 piece brake disc.
A picture isn't really going to show the true quality of something, nor it's durability or what it's made of etc.

They are just way too cheap to be decent.

Buddyclub / spd sell a 2 piece discs for £500 ish I think and is proven.

miki1212

Advanced Member
scrimping on brakes is a big no no in my opinion, but hey, it's your car, your life, just make sure you hit no innocents when they fail..

cjh1981

Advanced Member
I'm getting these fitted Thursday, DS2500, TGM lines grooved and dimples Mtec discs. Discs was only £280 font and back didn't think that was too sad. Be interesting to see how they compare to the standard setup with mintex 1144 Iv got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

integraleo

Advanced Member
Just like to say personally I have grooved mtec discs on the front of mine and oem on the rear with braided lines,tegiwa brake stopper a high quality brake fluid (can't remember the name but well known) and yellowstuff pads on front. All discs and pads replaced recently. Mtec discs do not give any more braking than oem discs,they are oem discs with grooves which are for looks and cleaning pad surface. I still think the brakes are not that good. Used to run ds2500 which were also not good enough,only pads I've used that gave me great braking were carbon Lorraine rc5+ pads...AWESOME braking power and zero fade.....but ultimately pad pick up even with grooved discs gave me horrible brake judder so they had to go

yeezy

Advanced Member
Wingnuttzz said:
A picture isn't really going to show the true quality of something, nor it's durability or what it's made of etc.

They are just way too cheap to be decent.

Buddyclub / spd sell a 2 piece discs for £500 ish I think and is proven.
Totally agree, just wanted to know whether anyone on here has purchased them and tell me other wise. nevertheless, thank you for your input.

yeezy

Advanced Member
miki1212 said:
scrimping on brakes is a big no no in my opinion, but hey, it's your car, your life, just make sure you hit no innocents when they fail..
Haha. point taken ;)

yeezy

Advanced Member
cjh1981 said:
I'm getting these fitted Thursday, DS2500, TGM lines grooved and dimples Mtec discs. Discs was only £280 font and back didn't think that was too sad. Be interesting to see how they compare to the standard setup with mintex 1144 Iv got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Nice man. Let me know how they perform buddy. Disc looks great, just hope they perform as well as they look!

yeezy

Advanced Member
integraleo said:
Just like to say personally I have grooved mtec discs on the front of mine and oem on the rear with braided lines,tegiwa brake stopper a high quality brake fluid (can't remember the name but well known) and yellowstuff pads on front. All discs and pads replaced recently. Mtec discs do not give any more braking than oem discs,they are oem discs with grooves which are for looks and cleaning pad surface. I still think the brakes are not that good. Used to run ds2500 which were also not good enough,only pads I've used that gave me great braking were carbon Lorraine rc5+ pads...AWESOME braking power and zero fade.....but ultimately pad pick up even with grooved discs gave me horrible brake judder so they had to go
Thanks for the advice and heads up mate. Im not really looking for big big performance on break disc & pads. Enough for fast road use, as I hardly go track days anymore. As if I wanted monster stopping power, I would of just went for AP or Alcon big break conversion. I just want a set-up that looks good on the eye, satisfying stopping power and something thats not going to cost me an arm & and leg. How is the EBC yellow stuff perform??? I used to run green stuff many years ago on a EK4, which weren't bad but not great either. So it has put me on EBC pads for awhile.

integraleo

Advanced Member
Green stuff is the lowest end of the range. In terms of stopping power it goes
Green-red-yellow-blue although don't see many places stocking blue pads as I'm sure they are for track only or very heavy cars,trucks. I find yellowstuff pads pretty good really,much better than oem without too much dust. A good long 35 mile blast on b roads and no brake fade without really heavy braking. Most people think my brakes are pretty good but they still don't give me ultimate confidence like the carbon Lorraines did. Think I might try the 6 pot 330mm yellowspeed big brake kit when funds allow. Main problem being I'd need to buy spacers and pay for new geo set up again....although selling the Brembos would recoup £500 ish with discs and pads

paul hughes

be careful boys and girls, these ebay specials are only 24mm thick and may overheat very quickly. skimping on brakes is foolish,,, buying Chinese brands is foolish,,, buying UK brands, tried and tested by race teams and recommended by name on forums is Cool ...

ill show myself out !! :)

Rom

Advanced Member
As above.

Do not buy mickey mouse brakes.

For your budget, forget the better ones, Dixel, Buddyclub etc. All are more than your budget just for fronts.

Mtec will give you the look you want, with the quality of OE. They are Brembo fronts, and Honda rears. Mtec just machine them. So providing thats done properly, they shouldnt suffer much damage in quality or durability.

I run the dimpled and grooved all round, with Project Mu HC+ front pads, and Project Mu NS 400 rear pads. Hel lines, ATE Super Blue, stopping is much improved. From cold they are marginally better than stock, up to temp, considerably better.

yeezy

Advanced Member
Rom said:
As above.

Do not buy mickey mouse brakes.

For your budget, forget the better ones, Dixel, Buddyclub etc. All are more than your budget just for fronts.

Mtec will give you the look you want, with the quality of OE. They are Brembo fronts, and Honda rears. Mtec just machine them. So providing thats done properly, they shouldnt suffer much damage in quality or durability.

I run the dimpled and grooved all round, with Project Mu HC+ front pads, and Project Mu NS 400 rear pads. Hel lines, ATE Super Blue, stopping is much improved. From cold they are marginally better than stock, up to temp, considerably better.
Hi mate, thanks for the feedback. can you kindly tell me where you purchased project MU HC+ Front & NS400 rear pads from? As I'm very interested in these pads.