Hondata Airbox Mod:With Nasty Scenes of Butchery!!

T666YPR

Accidentally bought a multitool,so I decided to test it out...

...on my airbox :shock:

OEM Airbox:Before

and After
(it's a lot neater than it looks)

Cleaned the filter too
(didn't need much cleaning TBH)

What a bitch!!

That ABS plastic is very thick in places,had broken cutting discs flying everywhere.

I left the 4 ribs alone as I thought it a bit excessive.

Can't say the induction noise has increased either.
Seeing that's what the bits I cut out were meant to suppress then yip ya funkin' hoo :D

As far as power/torque increase :xhuh:
I might even dyno it just to check :lol:

Simon

jonster

Advanced Member
Nice one Si. I expect you may have released one of two HP. Hopefully your Spoon TB may respond a bit better to this.

You've probably saved a few grams of weight too with this mod :)

Cheers,

Jon

T666YPR

I can weigh the bits if you want Jon :wink: :lol:

Just bought some proper cutting tools as well so I might have another butchers before I dyno it :xlol:

T666YPR

Well I dyno'd it...

...and it wasn't very pretty :|

The air/fuel ratio graph showed more fuel after v-tec,which I make out as the car struggling for air.

Ah well,back to the drawing board :xalright:

jonster

Advanced Member
Well that doesn't make any sense. :?

Bummer! I guess whatever you do next needs another re-map. ITB's are the next logic step :)

Jon

T666YPR

Odd isn't it??

The mod to make more air available-doesn't :?
(not with my set-up anyway)

The cars still making some odd noises in the engine room too :cry:

I spoke to Guy and I'm probably going to simplify my intake setup now and get a re-map.

TBs on the horizon,but I've got a few more non-engine mods to do soon now as well :xvtec:

Simon

tailslide

i'm looking at ITBs as one of my next upgrades as well. apparently, my understanding at the moment is that the k-pro will have probs managing the ITBs due to its ability to read off only one MAP sensor and the repositioning of which would prove 2 b rather tricky :? perhaps i should have sunk my money into a motec.......

jonster

Advanced Member
Having seen Sharpey's (Chris) super-charged teg run reliably (and very quick) at Bedford I'm thinking more about going that route. I imagine that the ITB's will initially be a similar cost to the JRSC. It would be nice if a second hand one came up. Maybe Mike (MJ Type-R) will be selling his soon, when he upgrades to a jet engine :)

If I went for IPS cams + ITB's it will still probably not make more power than a SC. Either route will probably need bigger injectors. I told myself I was happy with the power I've got now with my current setup, but look I'm still having these money draining thoughts. Doh!

Guy at CPL has already tested ITB's and I don't remember him mentioning any problems. When he's finished playing with turbo's and started work on ITB's we will know more.

Sorry to hear you've got problems Si. Is it really worth a complete re-map just when you are changing the intake?

Jon

T666YPR

I want to get to the source of the engine clatter,it sounds like I've dropped a valve or something.

The cars intake will be all new,so will defo need a re-map.

It's not a full re-map AFAIK,just a little fettle from Guy.

Start saving the pennies Jon.

What'll you do after SC ??

Seems you're heading for,stripped,roll-cage,c/f bodywork,nitrogen in the tyres... :lol:

jonster

Advanced Member
Strewth Simon - I hope you haven't dropped a valve. Did anything nasty happen like a mis-shift to cause this?

If you're going to have some headwork done to fix this and you are considering some re-mapping you just as well put some cams in too. Guy is still not sure about the IPS cams but if I was in your shoes I'd be tempted to give them a shot.

I'm probably dreaming with regards to the SC.

Cheers,

Jon