Hopefully a soon to be owner!

Mardgee

Advanced Member
Not going to lie, I've been a lurker for a while but actually doing something about owning a DC5 soon now.

I've always been a lover of RenaultSport to the point I've had 1 197 & 2 200 Clio's but always wanted a red 'H' on either an EK9 or DC5.

Is anyone from up near my way - Newcastle upon Tyne? Wouldn't mind finding out where's best to look at getting the Underseal/Alarm done which is a must for me.

I've read the various threads but is there any things I should look out for?

Basically... Hi.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi and welcome.

Personally I would get my car from Torque GT. I picked both my DC5 and my FD2 from them and both are spot on. They can do a full underseal for you too and fit an alarm. You just need to specify what you want exactly.

As for DC5's they always have a few in but you can do their import service too. I did this for the FD2.

These cars are getting old now (some nearly 20 years old!) so don't expect a brand new car.

Things to look out for are;

No smoke when under load
Oil usage
Rear arches (lips for rust)
Crunchy 1st to 2nd gear change at high revs (new synchro needed)
Bolster wear on drivers side
OEM shocks tend to leak fluid
Headlights fog up/condensation/discolour due to UV rays

Not much else really. Just don't rush into it. There seems to be a few on this forum for sale now. Some nice examples too. I know my old one is up for sale but it's got 120+ miles on it. But it's super clean all round.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Adam

Mardgee

Advanced Member
I've been thinking about Torque GT but the problem is the distance (800 mile trip). There is a couple up here already that I'm planning on going to look at as they are fresh imports and look really good in photo's.

I am a wanna be detailer so unfortunately will be very picky on the exterior of the cars.

Thank you for the advice, its certainly something I will keep in mind. Other than having to top up the oil I am assuming the fact its thirsty doesn't mean its going to go bang?

Cheers
Chris

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Mardgee said:
I've been thinking about Torque GT but the problem is the distance (800 mile trip). There is a couple up here already that I'm planning on going to look at as they are fresh imports and look really good in photo's.

I am a wanna be detailer so unfortunately will be very picky on the exterior of the cars.

Thank you for the advice, its certainly something I will keep in mind. Other than having to top up the oil I am assuming the fact its thirsty doesn't mean its going to go bang?

Cheers
Chris
As said above Torque GT orvone that's already here for sale, don't let mileage put you off and just look for a well maintained and cared fircexampke, build threads here help show owners work and progress to give an idea of their attention to detail etc.

These are pretty bulletproof cars so just find one you like that feels right and you will be fine and then enjoy mate.

Good luck with the search and if any my way I'll gladly take a look for you (ME19 in Kent)

Mardgee

Advanced Member
Cheers for that Carl, I‘ve been reading your thread and massive respect for your car as you are doing exactly what I want to do. It‘s the perfect example.
Since reading it I‘m probably going to be buying a car and taking it to TGM for all the bits needing doing and underseal unless I find somewhere up here.

Unless I can have yours ? ;)

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Cheers for that Carl, I‘ve been reading your thread and massive respect for your car as you are doing exactly what I want to do. It‘s the perfect example.
Since reading it I‘m probably going to be buying a car and taking it to TGM for all the bits needing doing and underseal unless I find somewhere up here.

Unless I can have yours ? ;)
You say that and I had been contemplating selling up to fund a new project now this one is in a great way and looking spot on :)

Finally got to drive it yesterday for the Simply Japanese show which was a great day out, where are you based?

Mardgee

Advanced Member
Newcastle upon Tyne. Miles away!

Did I read on here somewhere Nsx? If so that‘s a must do for me if I was in a situation to do so. Original NSX or a similar era 911 are things dreams are made of.

carl hammond

Advanced Member
Newcastle upon Tyne. Miles away!

Did I read on here somewhere Nsx? If so that‘s a must do for me if I was in a situation to do so. Original NSX or a similar era 911 are things dreams are made of.
Yeah mate looking at trying to complete funds for an NA1 NSX (NSX-R and NA2's are well out of budget now), I initially wanted an early 911 but prefer something a little more reliable as I don't want the expense of issues and engines out all the time, older 911's are a bit temperamental now (few mates have them) and their recent issues have kinda put me off, whereas the NSX is pretty bulletproof and imo rarer so more my thing :)

impne

Advanced Member
Welcome from the north east also👍

Andy Nicholl from Newcastle is getting back into these with another company and did an outstanding job on my first DC5 with under seal, alarm etc he knows the people to go to up our neck of the woods

The one I bought last august from a well known company was shocking to be honest, this is my opinion but maybe I was spoilt with my first one

Mardgee

Advanced Member
Never heard of Andy but sounds as if I should!

I‘ve heard a a couple of horror stories with my digging about, hopefully found one which looks quite good just needs a couple of bits and undersealed as it‘s a fresh import. Quite like that idea of being the first UK owner but my car needs to shift first!

Hopefully see you about :)