Horsepower loss over time

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Had me dreading for some time about doing a dyno run - what if my car has lost BHP over time and im disapointed? After seeing exceed's dyno run, Top Gear episode with the old Ferrari's(?) and reading some online articles - obviously depending on servicing etc etc you lose on average 4bhp per year and 50bhp per 200,000 miles. That doesnt sound right!? The only way to cure this would be a rebuild?

Hoodster

Advanced Member
Well maintained cars don't usually lose power not that much any way loss of power over the years is usually a sign of poor maintenance keep your car well serviced and treat it right and loss of power shouldn't be a problem.
I had an ex cop t5 last year I let my mate use it to go to trax at silverstone he put it on a power run down there and the still stock engine produced 214bhp the car is on a 98 plate with 185k on the clock proof that a well maintained car won't lose power with age.

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
I don't believe modern engines lose any HP over time, aslong as their maintained well.

Another forum i frequent had a rolling road day and a guy with a 1991 MX-5 which was completely standard made original power and a guy with a 2002 BMW 530I with 160k on the clock made about 5BHP over stock with again a completely standard car.

Top gears cars are usually complete dogs with mechanical faults so i wouldn't pay their figures any attention atall

I don't understand where the performance would go, it'll be running the same compression ratio, same lift on the cams assuming the cam lobes themselves haven't worn, same exhaust sytem etc. Also with the fine tolerances of modern engines if any of those things were worn to a point of impacting performance by a decent margin would the engine throw some kind of fault code?

Perhaps someone like Paul G would be a good judge as he must have high mile engines that have been raced so would be interesting to see if they lose performance over time

VT-Doo

RushDoo
I'll put things simply...

Compression can change over the lifespan of an engine.
With carbon collecting on the top of the pistons/valves etc. you could effectively increase compression.
A poorly maintained engine however can also break down the rings which begin to fail loosing oil/compression.
You could get anal and starting thinking about how the engine was bedded in too

I'll leave the detail at that.

Woody,
Don't worry about it :lol:

eXceed

Resident Driver
Lol mine hasn't lost power over time mate, it's just not mapped for the parts that it has on it... You should expect stock bhp on a stock motor and once I get this mapped (and some other little niggles sorted) then there shouldn't be any problems at all. Sorry to have scared you mate, the only way I can think of an engine losing hp over time is just things wearing away and i dont think that's going to happen until we get to ridiculously high mileage.
At least we know some good engine builders on here so can always get a mid life rebuild :).

-Woody-

Advanced Member
:lol:

I cant tell the history of my car so im not sure how well maintained its been. Sounds like it shouldnt effect the car as much as i think either way, youve given me a little faith. Charging it when it hit 100k sounds like a plan though :lol: