how can you reduce Understeer out of corners

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The traction control can only limit engine power at the time wheel spin is detected and it can only work under acceleration , it's not like the traction control many new cars have which can apply the brakes to increase traction on any wheel , mid corner etc

The best way really is a proper diff, a plate diff will stop the spin totally , a quaife will not, you can still spin the unloaded wheel.

beppe786

Beppe
maxvr6 said:
seen that works well using your abs sensor.. might have to be an option

darkhawk said:
Will be a laugh at the ring

Set of AD08Rs or if your feeling flush A048s and it will go like a dream

Shocking on the 1/4 tho

Can't get the heat in them even with a decent burn out and a Goood run by time you have qued up there cold again

Iv always ran slower on them than normal road tyres

Best 1/4 iv had was on conti sport 5s tbh they were great on track aswelll
heat in tires is always a problem.. conti contact sports are good had them on my car when i bought it..

sometime think its too much for FWD but love the teg so much

beppe786

Beppe
C&S Evo7 said:
The traction control can only limit engine power at the time wheel spin is detected and it can only work under acceleration , it's not like the traction control many new cars have which can apply the brakes to increase traction on any wheel , mid corner etc

The best way really is a proper diff, a plate diff will stop the spin totally , a quaife will not, you can still spin the unloaded wheel.
your right proper diff is the way forward.. my gearbox has been fully rebuilt, when the clutch needs changing gearbox off could stick one in then

darkhawk

Advanced Member
Beppe said:
seen that works well using your abs sensor.. might have to be an option

heat in tires is always a problem.. conti contact sports are good had them on my car when i bought it..

sometime think its too much for FWD but love the teg so much

I don't know if it's to much for fwd as people have alot more power with great results

It's just fine tuning to get the car set up to get the most out of it

At least they have a good base to start with

The glanza was pointless no matter what was changed it handled like a dog compared to my ep3

Justintian

Advanced Member
you meant to have some dull handling on FWD high power cars due to the fact that those two front wheels are dragging you out of the corner, but it seems like ford has done some really good job on their rs which is very sharp on the corner as far as I experienced before.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Another vote for a plate diff. The level of grip was phenomenal but actually dangerous on the roads by me. Where the road cambered in to the kerb, if you hit vtec the car would really try and snatch you in to the kerb. I very nearly hit the kerb on a couple of occasions.

It's not a cheap job though by any means. The diff itself plus labour isn't the only cost I'd consider. An aggressive diff will eat oem driveshafts for breakfast even on an n/a car so I'd expect a very limited life span on yours. I'd look to upgrade driveshafts at the same time or shortly after.

What width tyre are you running up front? Is it worth upping that by 10mm?

Mark_teg

Staff member
I read somewhere that the ford rs drive system is a copy of the renaultsport design..

Beppe, how about wider front wheels & tyres? Maybe some wider fenders to accommodate them ;)

Edit: beaten to it by Dave..

blueguy

Resident J's whore
As mentioned by a few, a plate diff will sort you out. Dave c loved his and he's running more power.

beppe786

Beppe
thanks for the reply's..

im on the 7J wheel with 225 RE070s.. could changed to 8in but sticking to 225 would it make a difference?

gonna get rear progressive bar and upgrade front strut bar before diff goes in..

is there any forgiving platted diff's available ? . don't like the thought of car snatching sideways

davidpingu

Advanced Member
225 is a bit of a stretch on 7j I'd imagine. Maybe try 235 on an 8j? It isn't that wide when you think s2000 rears are 255.

I think the wavetrac diff is the one that's in between full on plate diff and a helical.

The proper plated diff is the best performing but unfortunately it's a compromise on the road. I didn't like the feel of it I have to be honest. Oem diff does feel a bit tame in comparison though.

Plate diff makes all sorts of horrible noises from cold, clunking like something is majorly broken so everyone looks at you in car parks. it also wants to pull straight at every opportunity so it puts a lot more force through the steering at slow cornering speeds. It gets a bit tiring after a while. Being a daily it felt like work driving it anywhere, sat upright, both hands on the wheel where now with the oem LSD it's more of a sit back with one hand on the wheel sort of drive.

Depends what you want from the car at the end of the day. To squeeze the best out of it on track you're always going to lose out on public roads.

beppe786

Beppe
wavetrac diff sounds about right i used my car regularly.. few times a year take it on the strip check my how my mapping is going and see if car is getting quicker.

concentrating on handling now as wanna take it on the ring.

thanks David

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
I would highly recommend getting a Wavetrac diff fitted if you're using the car on the road. It's amazing step up from the standard diff on my Teg with Eibach sportline springs, fast road geo and 225 Yoko Advan AD08's on. It handled pretty good with just the AD08's on but it's something else with all the upgrades on.

Getting the diff changed would be the first thing I changed on a Teg if I decided to buy another one.

Jack

MeisterR

Realistically, you need a set of adjustable damper to help fine tune this.
There is a lot of component you can add on (Tyres, LSD, etc)… but really having adjustable damper will help tie everything together.

More importantly you need something that have a good bump adjustments in the adjustment range in the rear, as that is what help dial out under steer.
The springs / damper is what determine the driving characteristic… you can do a lot with other parts such as anti-roll bars, LSD, traction control, but in the end you will come back to the springs and damper as it is their job to control the vehicle dynamic of the car.

Jerrick