How do I remove marks on paintwork?

c7frw84

Advanced Member
Noticed my car was looking very dirty yesterday so decided to give it a quick clean at the local petrol station using the lance brush, the brush head was spinning all over the place and the plastic bit around it kept touching off the car,I had a quick look round about the car when I finished and thought it had cleaned up pretty
well, came out the house this morning and had a look round it and noticed there are few black marks from where the plastic was touching, the car is cw so they show up a lot more:( there's no depth to any of them they look like surface marks to me, can anyone tell me the best way to remove them without damaging the paintwork, any help would be much appreciated!

rascal69

Advanced Member
You have already damaged the paintwork buy using a brush on it.
It wouldve marked the soft honda paint quite bad.
Machine polish if your lucky.
Depending on how bad the marks are.
Or try rubbing some ultimate compound on worse areas

c7frw84

Advanced Member
Cheers rascal, I didn't realise how soft the paint actually is, who is it that makes the ultimate compound not really clued up on this kind of thing lol, is it advisable to use t cut or swirl x on the car at all?

rascal69

Advanced Member
Meguiares make the ultimate compound aswel
I would say that would be better to use than swirl x. Can get it from halffords, ebay etc
Next time stay away from car washes. They just mess up the paint.
I have been detailing for 4 years now.

c7frw84

Advanced Member
No probs I will give it a try, I wish I has just left the car dirty:( is it allright to apply the ultimate compound with a machine polisher or better to do it by hand?

rascal69

Advanced Member
No probs I will give it a try, I wish I has just left the car dirty:( is it allright to apply the ultimate compound with a machine polisher or better to do it by hand?
Can be used with both methoods. Better results with a machine though.
Do you own a machine? Da or rotary? Used it much?

c7frw84

Advanced Member
My mate recently gave me his machine polisher, I used it once on my civic type r with an autoglym polish and it brought the cosmic grey colour up very nice, I think it could be doing with a new pad on it as it looks quite old and used but still works ok, would you replace it before doing the dc5?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
If you cant feel the marks with a fingernail, rub it quite hard with some ultimate compound, I bet it lifts right off fine.

Josh16v

Advanced Member
Just a thought, if you're not confident with a machine and don't have a proper detailers near by most body shops can polish it for you.
Just stress you want it refining with light compound when theyre done buffing! The amount if places that kick out cars with hologram / trails is unreal these days!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Correct me if I'm wrong but if it's mainly black marks from the plastic of the brush leaving plastic residue behind, won't a clay bar likely get rid of this, then a polish up with some ultimate compound to remove any fine scratches?

Also it's worth giving this a go yourself and save yourself a few quid. It might only cost the same as picking up a clay bar and compound but at least then in future you can have a go at removing marks yourself before you go to a bodyshop?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Clay bar should do the trick.

But if you really wanna keep your paint tip top, a machine polisher is in order, cut back the top layer of swirl marks etc.

Then seal in all your hard work with a decent sealant and wax combo :)

c7frw84

Advanced Member
Bought some ultimate compound and the car has come up a treat;) Just polished the car by hand didn't trust myself enough to do with the machine lol, thanks for all the help folks!!

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Bought some ultimate compound and the car has come up a treat;) Just polished the car by hand didn't trust myself enough to do with the machine lol, thanks for all the help folks!!
Ultimate Compound works just as well by hand as it does by machine... it just take a lot longer by hand, lol..... a LOT longer!