How do you all find the LSD???

mardon

I have read reviews on the Quafe LSD found in the Focus RS. People have commented that it can pull you from one side to the other on county lanes etc. How do DC5 owners find the differential on your cars? Is it noticeable on day-to-day driving?

How does the DC5 compare against the RS on track (standard to standard)? I'm looking into both at the moment but am swaying towards the DC5 for looks and petrol consumption?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
I've never seen a DC5 vs. FRS comparison on track - on paper there's barely any difference in power/weight and 0-60 times IIRC. Of course the power delivery is a bit different! Would be interested to see an evo magazine-style track time comparison.

As for the diff, my limited technical knowledge suggests that a Quaife works differently to the Torsen type in a DC5, although in practice I have to say that I do get that "sniffing out the road" effect under power on poorly surfaced roads.

My opinion is that the diff is a bit more noticeable on the DC5 than the DC2, if you've ever driven one of those, although it also has more power/torque going through it, which may explain the difference.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Agreed the diff in the DC5 is more aggressive than in the DC2 in my experience, but ive not had any issues with torque steer that plagues the FRS.

I find it to be a great piece of kit but very different to the quaiife ATB diff!

SpaceMonkey

Advanced Member
DC5TU said:
Agreed the diff in the DC5 is more aggressive than in the DC2 in my experience
I found this also when driving my pals DC2.

I would get some pulling on uneven surfaces when you came on cam, but on the whole I thought it was fantastic.
Chuck it in, get your toe down & the magic works & you come out the otherside.....in all honesty it frightened me the first time I tried it @ speed.

DC5TU

Advanced Member
Frightened me too alittle when i had the first DC5 as id been used to serious understeer in all the other FWD cars id driven!

celox performance

Advanced Member
I'd go for a Honda over a Ford personally. I remember Jeremy Clarkson driving the Focus RS and saying that the diff was very agressive and actually 'dangerous' on the road :shock: . I've done a lot of track days and i've never even seen a Focus on track so I wouldn't know which is the quicker car round the track, but it would also be down to the mods done and driver ability anyway.

mardon

Cheers for the replies guys!

Can't wait to drive one!

I'd rather put up a little pulling left to right than not have one. Must be great having all that extra grip in the corners.

I was reading reviews of the Alfa 147GTA and they all mentioned the lack of a LSD. I guess when your putting 200bhp+ through the front wheels you need it.

I have read a few reviews of the DC5 on the net (eg. the EVO one). Does anyone know of any other good sources for owner reviews? I've read all the info on the homepage of this site (which was great by the way).

mardon

Had my car on track last week and loved it! Was performing really well until the new black diamond clutch decided to fail. How do the DC5's withstand the track day abuse. I seems that alot of you enjoy them?

celox performance

Advanced Member
I've done 4 track days in mine now and have never had a problem of any kind. I've also got a Prelude which is primarily a track car. I've done well over a dozen track days in that and again i've never had a problem of any kind which shows that Honda have good engines :D

The DC5, DC2 and also the Civic Type R are designed to be driven hard.

neilmac

I`m a master technician in a ford franchise so here`s my thoughts on your rs v DC5 debate. Thought about one myself for a while. The dc5 is probably a bit firmer but is a lot better balanced & more predictable. The combination of the diff, 18" tyres & hefty torque don`t make for a lot of fun on anything but a good road surface. I actually bought an orange st & while i owned it tested a dc5 the rest is history. Wouldn`t swap it for anything with a blue oval. Dc5 is much more fun plus ( touch wood) apart from routine maintenance never goes wrong. Dc5. You won`t regret it.

keevster

Advanced Member
I had my mate out in my DC5 yesterday, i took quite a narrow bend pretty briskly, and the front end did not budge :shock: , but the back did :lol: :oops:

The LSD works really well as my mate had commented, but it can be a bit un nerving at times when the back end starts to slip, but i suppose when its happended a few times you know what to look for.

I think my next mod will be some camber bolts and a fast road set up, see if i can get the car set up a bit better

Paul :wink:

Paul G

Members
How does the DC5 compare against the RS on track (standard to standard)? I'm looking into both at the moment but am swaying towards the DC5 for looks and petrol consumption?[/quote]

There was 2 at Donington last yr & they could'nt keep up with the DC5 :wink: and i was still having probs wt the set up then....

Paul.G

mardon

So the oversteer takes a little getting used to? Think when I get mine (made my mind up now :D) I’ll do a track day strait away. That way I’ve got a safer environment to see how the car reacts when pushed.

The GTi is great, really handles like a go-kart. On the French Car Track session I really pushed it and enjoyed bringing the tail out and flicking it back in. Great fun :)

keevster

Advanced Member
celox performance said:
I've never experienced oversteer myself but I suppose it's how your car's been set up eg.camber/toe etc/tyre pressures etc.

Yeh your right, I personally dont like the way the handling on mine is at the moment. Oversteer on track i can handle, but on a country road, its a no no as far as i am concerned, which on the other hand could be a good thing :lol: , as i know not to push it too far.

I have a spare few quid floating about, and i aint done anything to the DC5 yet, so camber arms and a good 4 wheel set up is on the cards.

Where is the best place for me to get some camber bolts, and how much are we talking, is it just front camber ajusters or is the rear involved too

Paul :wink: