How do you remove side decal residue!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Tips please folks.

So far I have used hot water, meths, lighter fluid, alcohol and lots of elbow grease. An hour later and I still have 3/4 of it left!
Also tried a hot air gun on low its a nightmare to rid....

CaLi

Vtec Yoooooooo
Tardis tar remover? Would have thought that would easily do the job.

Erm

Advanced Member
Detailing clay first then give it go over with a da polisher

gaza4

Advanced Member
you could try using kerosine, just make sure you use a good wax after coz it will take away wax the same as tar remover

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Don't have any ketosine to hand but I do have a clay bar I bought the other day :) if not will go buy some tardis too.
I do have lots of other nasty chemicals to hand Like celolous thinners and a few things from my mates place that would strip the flesh from your bones but decided against it.
Gave up for the evening.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Patch_teg said:
Is the decal off?

Wd40 helps
The actual plastic/vinyl outer came off easy. I remember thinking to my self, what are these lot going on about its easy!!
Then.... Trying to remove the glue another story.
I am sure the clay will help no end. Will probably help leaving over night aswell and let the air dry it out some.
I rekon I could get it off very easy with either some wire wool or a scowering pad but that wouldnt help me out any :)

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Patch, its different stuff mate. I had similar to that under the H badge which took some scraping but came off easy enough.
Going to try the clay later.

Rom

Advanced Member
The safest bet is a toffee wheel, something like this, though they get all sorts of names.

Scraping will scratch the lacquer, as can vigorous rubbing with tar and glue etc. These wheels are pretty safe, ive never marred the paint. Used sensibly obviously.

samwelltrademarked

Advanced Member
I'm with Rom... Toffee wheels are top banana! (pun intended lol) my old ek had stubborn glue that nothing would shift for well over a year.... A lad I bought some bomex mirrors off recommended a toffee wheel and gave me half of one..... It's hard work, but it'll shift anything with enough elbow grease and not damage the paint

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Well its gone.
But I cheated. I went to my local valet place and said any chance you can remove that? Five mins said the guys and with some mystery liquid and a rag it was gone. Included a wash for £6 all in. No chamois wipes to dry, micro fiber all the way which left me time to polish when i got home.

Just got to pop the new decal on when i get a sec.

Will also get the name of said liquid when he finds out.

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
I have used autoglym intensive tar remover and it did no good. Need to find something stronger.

donzooo

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Well its gone.
But I cheated. I went to my local valet place and said any chance you can remove that? Five mins said the guys and with some mystery liquid and a rag it was gone. Included a wash for £6 all in. No chamois wipes to dry, micro fiber all the way which left me time to polish when i got home.

Just got to pop the new decal on when i get a sec.

Will also get the name of said liquid when he finds out.
The liquid was TFR (Traffic Film Remover).

It's what they all use as it strips EVERYTHING from the car.

Just need to be careful as it also strips wax and if left too long on the paint causes staining, which needs to be polished out.

Donald

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Went and asked today and it was actually SWS thinner!
Guy said when nawt else works this will but as mentioned above once its off it needs a good scrub and a polish. I have checked several times since it was removed and there is no damage to the paint.
Still yet to put the new decal on, oh for a spare 5 minutes lately.

donzooo

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
Went and asked today and it was actually SWS thinner!
Guy said when nawt else works this will but as mentioned above once its off it needs a good scrub and a polish. I have checked several times since it was removed and there is no damage to the paint.
Still yet to put the new decal on, oh for a spare 5 minutes lately.
Nice one thanks for that info, will be trying that on the gunk around my door handles etc as nothing I have tried to date has worked.

Forgot about that one!