How do you replace the VTC Actuator?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Hi, Can anybody shed some light on how to replace the VTC Actuator please?

I gather you take the inlet cam out but i read somewhere (not here) that you have to use an air gun on the holes in the cam??

Any information would be grand.

Thanks.

EK9turbo

GUIDE: How to remove the VTC actuator!...unbolt it.

All you have to do is hold the cam with a spanner and undo the bolt in the end of the actuator. nothing more.

If the actuator has developed a rattle, without the chain on try rotating it back and forward whilst holding the cam and turning the actuator itself ccw/cw rotation. if it moves even a little bit or with complete travel the the actuator has developed free movement and needs to be replaced. Do this before unbolting the actuator!

The thing your on about with the airline, the hole closest to the actuator is the retard oilway and the one further away is the advance oil-way. with the actuator still on the cam you have to make a seal with an air blow gun with a tapered tip over the advance hole (the one furthest away from the actuator) and blast air pressure in whilst using your other hand to try rotating the actuator. Again, if it doesnt move freely whilst the air-pressure is being applied, then youre actuator is shot. And you KNOW its time for a new one. This testing method should save you some money if it IS ok.
...Also you have to hold the cam in cardboard or rags in the vice unless your good at juggling :xlol: xthumbup

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Well I thought it would be as easy as that. But I typed in VTC Actuator into Google and a post came up for the Jazz. I thought it would be the same system but just wanted to check.
Thanks for the advice.