How does a DC5 compare to an S2000

tminty83

I love the DC5 and I've always wanted one.

I love the S2000 and always wanted one of those too.

Has anyone had both? How do they compare?

I think an S2000 would have a shelf life as you can only really live with a two seater for so long, where as the DC5 with rear seats has flexibility.

spooke

Advanced Member
Performance = S2000
Practicality = DC5

I've not owned an S2000 myself but would definitely consider one, as a standard car I think the DC5 is better, but when tuned the S2000 is far superior.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
On the track I would say the dc5 is 'quicker', unless you're confidant in pushing in a rear wheel drive car. Dc5 is much easier to scoop up if it goes wrong. Straight line is very close.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
I owned a facelift one for 4 years or so prior to buying the DC5.

Both great cars in their own different way. But for me overall I prefer the DC5.

I won't go into too much detail as the linked thread above covers most of it.

The S felt faster i'd say although probably not by much. Felt tighter when accelerating and a tad more responsive. I think this might be to do with it being RWD and being pushed forward rather than being FWD and pulled forward. Although on paper it has more power anyway.

If anyone buys one you should ensure that the roof doesn't leak (you'll only have the pleasure of knowing when you pull away for the first time after a night of rain = in car shower), and that the geo bolts have been unseized. Think I paid £750ish for a new roof from Monsoon. Geo bolts can easily be £1k depending on how many are seized.

I found the S to be much worse on fuel, but I live in London so probably encounter more stop start traffic than most.

Cabin space.... Cozy is the word I shall use to describe it. The boot space Isn't actually that bad. Only time I found it lacking was when doing the xmas visits and being fully loaded with luggage and presents. Even had to use the passenger seat as space.

Modifying is more expensive and I don't think you get as much bang for buck as you do with the K20. Bolt on parts at least.

Fantastic noise from the S and when the roof is down on the warmer days, it's superb. I had an AEM V2 and decat so had a little extra noise :)

For me I just find I bonded more with the DC5. Instantly I just preferred sitting in the 5 to the S. It's more practical and cheaper to run. Or at least that's what I found when comparing running costs so far.

I find the 5 easier to drive when pushing on. I found the S a bit edgy and they need to be treated with respect. Someone with more experience of driving fast with RWD would probably enjoy it more. When I moved from the EP3 to the S, my insurance company wouldn't insure the S. Can't remember who I was with, one of the usual lot we all use, but that was down to it being a hedge finder apparently and them being bored with paying out all the time ha ha.

As I say, both great in different ways. For me I prefer the Teg and don't regret moving from the S to the Teg at all. Would I go back to an S.... Not sure. Although I do love a yellow facelift S!

I prefer the look of the facelift S to the pre-facelift. They both drive differently so worth having a go in both. Think the die hards prefer the more raw feeling of the PFL.

Each persons ownership will be different and therefore so will their opinion.

I've definitely had more compliments in my 6 months of ownership with the Teg than I did with 4+ years with the S though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
TonksyDC5 said:
I owned a facelift one for 4 years or so prior to buying the DC5.

Both great cars in their own different way. But for me overall I prefer the DC5.

I won't go into too much detail as the linked thread above covers most of it.

The S felt faster i'd say although probably not by much. Felt tighter when accelerating and a tad more responsive. I think this might be to do with it being RWD and being pushed forward rather than being FWD and pulled forward. Although on paper it has more power anyway.

If anyone buys one you should ensure that the roof doesn't leak (you'll only have the pleasure of knowing when you pull away for the first time after a night of rain = in car shower), and that the geo bolts have been unseized. Think I paid £750ish for a new roof from Monsoon. Geo bolts can easily be £1k depending on how many are seized.

I found the S to be much worse on fuel, but I live in London so probably encounter more stop start traffic than most.

Cabin space.... Cozy is the word I shall use to describe it. The boot space Isn't actually that bad. Only time I found it lacking was when doing the xmas visits and being fully loaded with luggage and presents. Even had to use the passenger seat as space.

Modifying is more expensive and I don't think you get as much bang for buck as you do with the K20. Bolt on parts at least.

Fantastic noise from the S and when the roof is down on the warmer days, it's superb. I had an AEM V2 and decat so had a little extra noise :)

For me I just find I bonded more with the DC5. Instantly I just preferred sitting in the 5 to the S. It's more practical and cheaper to run. Or at least that's what I found when comparing running costs so far.

I find the 5 easier to drive when pushing on. I found the S a bit edgy and they need to be treated with respect. Someone with more experience of driving fast with RWD would probably enjoy it more. When I moved from the EP3 to the S, my insurance company wouldn't insure the S. Can't remember who I was with, one of the usual lot we all use, but that was down to it being a hedge finder apparently and them being bored with paying out all the time ha ha.

As I say, both great in different ways. For me I prefer the Teg and don't regret moving from the S to the Teg at all. Would I go back to an S.... Not sure. Although I do love a yellow facelift S!

I prefer the look of the facelift S to the pre-facelift. They both drive differently so worth having a go in both. Think the die hards prefer the more raw feeling of the PFL.

Each persons ownership will be different and therefore so will their opinion.

I've definitely had more compliments in my 6 months of ownership with the Teg than I did with 4+ years with the S though.

Cracking review and very useful.

I do have a soft spot for S2000's having been in a friends a few years back. Have heard horror stories about the blocks being quite weak on some of them that are made between certain years, is it 2001 - 2004?

Regarding the noise, I heard one with an intake once and it sounded incredible, so much better than a K20. Is the F20 that much of a different block?

Why do the camber bolts seize on them do you know?

I'd love a J's Racing kitted S2000.

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
I think something was upgraded from 04 onwards. Can't remember what though. Had no issues with my engine though.

Quite a few 09 engines have gone pop. Personally I wouldn't buy an 09 due to this. But then if you get a Honda warranty maybe you'd be ok. Roll the dice...

Not sure how different the block is. But apparently the F20 comes highly tuned straight out of the box.

The noise was incredible. Roof down summer blast is something I may well miss soon ha ha. Won't miss getting a sunburned forehead though!

I think the bolts just rust. Unless the previous owners were enthusiasts it's pretty much a given that they would never have been adjusted and some, all if you're unlucky, will be seized. Very known fault/feature of the S.

Mine had a few seized but Tom said mine drive straight and wasn't that much out. So wasn't worth spending silly money for no real benefit. I was lucky. Was it something to do with the bolts not being greased initially? Ah I can't remember. Either way it's a pig of a job to do. Tom hates them when he has to do it ha ha.

Lukeyboi89

Advanced Member
heres something i wrote in my s2000 thread when i had mine...

The feeling of the car compared to the teg, i can only describe it as more natural. what i mean by that is with the S its almost as if it feels like a go kart into the corners, you just point and it turns in and grips, and when eventually the end does kick out you can rectify this with a simple correction of the wheel or throttle if youre quick. where as in the teg, with the FWD and LSD, the car just grips and grips and grips, and doesnt give you the same sensation of "fun" as with the S. thats not to say the teg isnt fun, it bloody is, best handling FWD car by a long shot, but its definitely more track orientated and wants to be thrashed everywhere, the smoother gearbox on the teg only exemplifies this too. the K20 of the teg is also better in the middle and lower power ranges, with it picking up speed a lot quicker (or at least it feels so), where as the S longer gearing can make it feel sluggish lower down the revs. but neither of these are meant to be driven lower down the rev range haha!

and the fun is only increased with the roof down, blazing through the countryside with the sun above you feels fantastic, very, very addictive!

TonksyDC5

Advanced Member
Funny you say that about the midrange power. I didn't really notice it. But I took a guy out in the Teg when I was last at TGM, he arrived in a gorgeous S!! And he was surprised how much mid range the Teg had over the S. As you say, longer gears maybe why.

Turn in on the S was very good.

swanny1982

Advanced Member
had a few s2000 as I buy and sell and prefer the DC5 all day long, vtec feels punchier, handles better, more comfortable!

MrRy

Advanced Member
The S is a great car, I miss mine, but the 5 is more fun, looks better, has more character. The S just isn't a Type R. Mine was totally standard on 20k though, I wonder how awesome it would have felt with coilovers and what not.

I just miss the S on sunny days, roof down, driving around B roads, coastal roads, etc.

But I never regret selling it to get back into an Integra.

phillll

Advanced Member
I had a test drive of an s2000 before I bought my DC5.

DC5 felt like a nicer place to be and I felt like I was going to die in the s2000.
I didn't feel too confident pushing in the local lanes at all, and that's coming from a Nissan s15!

nsxer

Advanced Member
you need to know that you can live with a 2 seater ... you need to consider this and if your lifestyle is likely to change over course of ownership.
personally I just dont know how you could draw a fair comparison on both cars they are totally different animals and cater for different market segments.

still it was very interesting to read the comments on those people that have owned both. its not surprising that the dc5 is coming out that bit better ... its due to it being a more practical design with its R heritage that we all understand and love.

If i could have the NSX and an s2k that would be my choice personally ... I really like the s2k and its a different animal to the X even though the DNA is there. But the dc5 gets the nod due to the practicality and fun factor it can provide.

integraleo

Advanced Member
In terms of power at the eurospec dyno day I went to with a lot of others on here there was an s2000 on the dyno just before us and it hit 199hp....apparently Romain said that's not uncommon

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
phillll said:
I had a test drive of an s2000 before I bought my DC5.

DC5 felt like a nicer place to be and I felt like I was going to die in the s2000.
I didn't feel too confident pushing in the local lanes at all, and that's coming from a Nissan s15!
Ha ha ha!!

Fez

Advanced Member
I just did a track day with my mate in his s2000 (52 plate) his was fully stripped, air filter, 'normal' tyres, and stoptech pads. Mine, full interior with re070 and ds2500 pads, mani and filter, on the straights i was slightly quicker, braking i think his was better, (but i was having brake problems) and corners were pretty even. But on the road my dc5 is quicker.

RichA

Advanced Member
I did a trackday with my mate when he had his s2000, it was pretty wet so it was hilarious seeing him sliding and spinning in the rear view mirror, he said that the lack of feel from the car meant it was hard to feel when the car was about to let go

tminty83

interesting reading thanks for the input.

Discovered the search function. Sorry for going over old ground.

Went and had a look at a Teg this eve, hope to view a s2000 this weekend.

I test drove one of each before. Didn't get as far as driving the Teg tonight sadly.

gurrik

I have both, prefer the DC5 !

the gear box on the s2000 though is spot on, absolutely fantastic