How does OEM Shocks with Eibach Springs compare to coilovers on track?

AneesR

Hi Guys,

Currently going over my car and need engine mounts, track rod ends a few bushes etc as part of a suspension overhaul. The car has Eibach springs on standard shocks at the moment. The intention with this car is to look at using it fairly regularly on track next year so I was wondering just WHAT the improvements were by changing to coilovers when on track? I am based in the North West so tracks I would be visiting are most likely Oulton Park, Donnington, and possibly a Ring trip next year.

I don't want to ruin it on the road, but don't mind losing a little comfort if the improvements from coilovers are worth it on track.

Thanks for any advice.

Anees

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Much less body roll, springs are good for the road but are out of their depth when you start pressing on.

spooke

Advanced Member
As the dampers will be matched to the spring rates you'll definitely benefit from them on track,
  • As Chris mentioned higher spring rates = less body roll and pitching/diving along with damping adjustability.
  • Adjustable damping to control the handling/bodyroll (dependent on coilover)
  • Camber adjustment via top mounts (dependent on coilover)
  • Adjust the ride height again to control the handling
  • Ability to swap out different springs
  • Adjust spring preload
Now there's a lot more to it than just that but if you plan on going on track a lot then it will be worth while.

MeisterR

One of the biggest improvement that you can get out of coilovers is that you can have a dual purposes setup with good adjustable damping.

You can get a car that is responsive but compliant on softer damping setting.
And you can quickly adjust the damper to have a car that will reduce body motion, provide sharper steering and turn in, with overall better traction.
There are a lot more, but a good adjustable damper in a coilovers setup will give you those function.

That is something that lowering springs and fixed damper cannot provided.

Jerrick