How far without KPRO

Allen

Advanced Member
How many "bolt on" mods do ya reckon you can do without needing KPRO?
Currently have DC sports cat back and Gruppe M. Far as i know when the cat is removed you need KPRO (or simular) but what if you just change the 4-2 section? :?
Will get KPRO eventually but cant afford the set up each time i buy something, so gonna be last on my list.
Cheers :D

Jayk

Advanced Member
put manifold on then kpro, main advantage of kpro is great fuel ecomony in my eyes, after havin 1 DC5 without kpro n one with, power gains are little.

timp

Advanced Member
Jayk said:
put manifold on then kpro, main advantage of kpro is great fuel ecomony in my eyes, after havin 1 DC5 without kpro n one with, power gains are little.
Can't agree with you mate. :(

In my opinion the best thing you can spend your cash on is the kpro, even if you don't think there is a power gain you surely have to agree the difference in drivability it makes.

get an ecu and have it set up on a dyno and you will not believe how much more responsive the engine is in the mid range especially just before vtec. :D

Jayk

Advanced Member
timp said:
Jayk said:

In my opinion the best thing you can spend your cash on is the kpro, even if you don't think there is a power gain you surely have to agree the difference in drivability it makes.

get an ecu and have it set up on a dyno and you will not believe how much more responsive the engine is in the mid range especially just before vtec. :D
I cant agree as its not the way i felt with my DC5's. Like i said i have directly compared my 2 DC5's one with and one without. Ok you can enter vtec at 4k, but it makes you a lazy vtec driver i find, where as if vtec came in at 6k you would come down another gear. VTEC transition is too smooth now with KPRO on this DC5, its boring, i miss the vtec kick in without kpro. Like i said with breathing mods you get a few hp, lower vtec, better fuel economy, but thats about it in my eyes.

Best handing mod for the teg is a set of semi slicks, best power mod is a manifold. IMHO.

smartie

Jayk said:
timp said:
Jayk said:

I cant agree as its not the way i felt with my DC5's. Like i said i have directly compared my 2 DC5's one with and one without. Ok you can enter vtec at 4k, but it makes you a lazy vtec driver i find, where as if vtec came in at 6k you would come down another gear. VTEC transition is too smooth now with KPRO on this DC5, its boring, i miss the vtec kick in without kpro. Like i said with breathing mods you get a few hp, lower vtec, better fuel economy, but thats about it in my eyes.

Best handing mod for the teg is a set of semi slicks, best power mod is a manifold. IMHO.
shouldnt the VTEC transition be smooth anyway? otherwise your car isnt setup correctly. :) or is that wrong

Project

Advanced Member
You obviously havnt been in a DC2 :D
Kinda agree with one point you make Jayk, I love the 6k kick, dropping it lower makes you lazy in not having to fight with the car which is what makes it fun, but apart from that everything else that comes with an ecu upgrade is tops

smartie

Project said:
You obviously havnt been in a DC2 :D
Kinda agree with one point you make Jayk, I love the 6k kick, dropping it lower makes you lazy in not having to fight with the car which is what makes it fun, but apart from that everything else that comes with an ecu upgrade is tops
DC2 isnt I-VTEC tho :)

alg2500

With the manifold - do you not lose low down acceleration?

I might be confused - but everyone who is doing a manifold, de-cat etc - surely you are losing that back pressure and will only see the difference at higher speeds??

If I was going to do that setup I'd have the mugen twinloop so at least you could reserve some back pressure.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Strange you should say that Jay mate :shock:

I can feel a huge difference in performance with the KPro. And the VTEC change over is still very apparent

Jayk

Advanced Member
alg2500 - back preasure isnt a good thing, manifold makes the biggest power gain of them all.

I could deffinatly tell when VTEC came in on my buddyclub exhaust Nick with the KPRO, but not with the Mugen, or Toda.

But with my old set up mani/bpipe/oem backbox and no kpro, you could really notice the car was in VTEC, and the pull was like yeah man im giving it some shit now! To be honest i prefer it that way, i prefer fighting the car, really having to give it some beans.

Like project says, the B18C6 engine is still much more fun to drive and these are some of the reasons why.

A DC5 chassis, a B18C6 = pure heaven :D actually ill have it in an elise, :D

iqy_86

K20 in an exige would be my choice :D

or K20 in the DC2 chassis, now that would fly :shock: