How happy are you with your standard car?

fast_eddie

ok I know I am new on here but I have done lots of reading and searching. I love the DC5 and it is on my shortlist for a 'new' car. The one question I would hopefully like an answer to is 'how long does anyone stay happy with a standard car?'.
I know most of this is down to personal preference and for example whether the car will visit a circuit or not. What I am trying to find out is, how good the standard car is to drive quickly.
I am not bothered about the aesthetic/appearance side of things, as most of this is down to personal taste.
I would put myself into the bracket of someone who really enjoys driving and I like to feel what my car is doing and at the same time have some fun. How long into the ownership of a DC5 does it feel like 'oh I wish I had better brakes or I wish it wouldn't understeer as much or damn the tail is very twitchy...
I have done a fair bit a rallying in my past and I have a stripped out Peugeot for track work, but I am looking for a car that kind of fills a void between road and track if you get my drift.
Just so you get an idea of my shortlist, I am also looking at a Renault Megane R26 and a Vauxaull Monaro as I believe all 3 cars offer something different to mainstream fodder. I know the R26 is more expensive and has a big butt, but it fits the bill of what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance

Suped

Advanced Member
Here's your simple answer... The teg as as good as the driver can drive it!!!

IMO, I'm not happy anymore, want to make me an offer??

Project

Advanced Member
Everyone is different, youv'e asked a really wierd question as people have different driving styles, someone like yourself who has done rallying would most probably mod any car you decide to buy as the cars are made on an average customer needs.
People who dont mod a single thing on thier cars hardly drive them, i see it as the more you interact with your car the more you learn which then goes to modding what you feel can be upgraded to increase drive pleasure.

fast_eddie

ok maybe I should have been a bit more specific. I suppose I am looking for a road car that doesn't need modding and does everything fairly well out of the box.Every car will always be a compromise in some areas and I know I will have to compromise to find my ideal standard road car.
I was hopefully after a 'picture' of the car that you guys know and love so much.

jonster

Advanced Member
A lot of people find that the DC5 is not as good as the DC2 out-of-the-box and spend quite a bit of time trying to make the DC5 feel more like the DC2 does as standard. In my experience it certainly feels heavier and changing to lighter wheels makes a big difference and so does putting lighter seats in. I find the standard brakes could have more bite but changing to a better pad solves that. Everyone will also agree getting the geometry setup (fast-road) transforms the car too.

If you want instant fun get a DC2. I'm happy with my DC5's current setup and have really enjoyed the path I've taken modding the car bit by bit over the time I've owned it. There's nothing out there that tempts me away from the DC5 (apart from an EK9 - but I'd want to put a DC2 engine in it straight away).

Jon

conoroneill

Advanced Member
DC5s are great out of the box.

The brakes are fantastic (calipers AND pads developed with Brembo).

The engine is second to none in its' powerband. The output is astonishing to say the least considering it's N/A.

The LSD is effective and works well integrated with the gearbox without being too agressive. This makes the DC5 is exciting and involving to drive.

The hydraulic power steering has fantastic feel without being too heavy for parking and the like.

The induction and exhaust properties are better and less restrictive than most people think mostly due to the fact that they're quiet. Many people spend hundreds on aftermarket induction kits (bar Gruppe M) and cat back exhaust systems only to gain a few BHP. They reckon they've gained more but in actual fact it's more noise rather than performance.

Suspension is good but is the one area I would alter if I had to choose one. The standard springs don't seem that well suited to the dampers and can make for a crashy ride at times. Eibach Pro kit or Spoon progressive springs along with front and rear camber adjusters and a geometry setup are the ticket to solving this. £400 tops.

Good performance out of the box? Yes sir. It certainly is. Maybe not as raw as a DC2 but certainly a more developed car overall and practical for day to day use.

fast_eddie

good post! thanks-interesting to hear about the exhaust system as I think I would like a 'fairly' quiet car for road use( I am knocking on a bit now too-so past boy racer age :oops: ) and also saves upsetting the guys on the street. Love the idea of the standard diff, as it helps drag an over enthusiastic tail out of trouble.

Simple question about the standard handling-Will it oversteer if you say back off mid bend or do they just scrub off speed gently...I know conditions and suspension and tyres and speed etc etc make a difference but I mean in general?

boz5r

Advanced Member
Hi i own standard dc5 and agree with jonster its no dc2 having owned 2 the 5 is more nervous eg tail happy when you lift mid bend as i found out on slightly damp roundabout and fishtailed clouted curb only damage was broken arb mount chipped alloy so i will deffo get eibachs and frs set up hope this helps.

fast_eddie

yeah good feedback. Most FWD cars can be tricky on the limit(look at old 205's for example) but as you know there is a balance between a cracking FWD chassis that 'allows' you to play and one that bites when pushed. I suppose I am looking for that age old compromise of good handling with a little bit of sparkle too?

boz5r---did you keep the power on when you lost the rear or was it a case of OMG!! everything has gone pear shaped and I need to stop the car kind of moment-the latter of which usually happens on the road to most of us due to space constraints and other cars/barriers/concrete/curbs/sheep :shock:

Frank

Advanced Member
I lost the back end on mine a few weeks back, back end just snapped out on me, I was driving fast and must have backed off the throttle a bit. It fish tailed about 7 or 8 time before I finally managed to get it straight again, it was an extremely long bend and was lucky there was no other cars about. :?

spo_gen

Advanced Member
I found the back to be very controllable when it snapped. This was when everything was standard.

Since I got a fast road setup done, the back has not snapped out since. The tail feels more planted and inspires more grip.

For the sake of a few hundred squid, its the best mod to do.

Wardy7

Advanced Member
spo_gen said:
I found the back to be very controllable when it snapped. This was when everything was standard.

Since I got a fast road setup done, the back has not snapped out since. The tail feels more planted and inspires more grip.

For the sake of a few hundred squid, its the best mod to do.
What does the fast road set up include doing (I know it will be detailed somewhere in the forum but I thought I'd be lazy and just ask since it's my Birthday)? :)

Cheers
Wardy

spo_gen

Advanced Member
Happy birthday pal.

It needed camber adjusters aswell(only rear ones IIRC) so the standard camber/toe settings could be changed to a more aggressive setup.
It'll eat the tyres more quickly but thats the price you pay for better cornering/stable capabilities.

Project

Advanced Member
Well since my coilovers and set up was done ive noticed more understeer and less over steer in the car.
I find it easier to control the front going out than the rear going out so i'm happy with the fast road set up.

jonster

Advanced Member
I find the DC5 more forgiving in the tail happy department than the DC2. Very controllable. The only time I've comepletely lost it was due to a red-mist moment with melting tyres braking on a bend (big no no - I know) chasing a 911 that I embarrased ealier that day. The only other time was a controlled recovery at Goodwood with a 22st pasenger, over inflated rear road tyres on a damp corner.

The DC5 is the most forgiving car I've ever driven.

Jayk

Advanced Member
i agree, was never comfortable with my DC2 so i went back to another VX220 where i was happy. but after driving the DC5 i felt so at home. its i amazing how planted it feels.

I run semi slicks so its even better, with eibach springs and geo setup. I have chamber adjusted to have the rear having less grip, always better i find, i have no understeer what so ever.

DC5 is an amazing machine. I tried to move to an elise with a K20A DC5 engine, and to an EVO but i just didnt like them compared to the DC5.

fast_eddie

well that is praise indeed coming from someone with lots of RWD experience.NO UNDERSTEER-fantastic news-Im getting to like the sound of this car more and more!!

Jayk

Advanced Member
its all down to the tyres i run, suspension, and geo setup. as the more grip the rear has the more chance of understeer, i have 0.5 degree camber on the front and 2.25 degree on the rear :p

can snap sometimes but very very rarely. its how you drive them, everyone has a different style, if you stamp on the brake hard in a bend its going to transfer the weight to the front quickly and lighten the back end for sure. but if your smooth and push the brake pedal alittle and alittle harder and harder progressively even in a bend at 120mph and pressing it hard, i get a wee bit of step out but nothing that i even have to try and control its that minor.

i love the teg its awesome. i have had it for almost a year, thats could for me i usually sell up 6 months and then try something else. I havent been able to with this car, that how much i am at home with it!

Even after test driving an EVO 8MR FQ340 and EVO 9 FQ340 on the weekend, made me love the DC5 even more :D