How long to leave AutoGlym HD wax on to dry?

ladykb

Advanced Member
Hi, i notice that when i wax my car, when i buff off the wax i get marks on the bonnet that are real hard to remove look almost oily.... :roll: . i generally do this around each panel of the car....

1 - Polish bonnet
2 - Polish door
3 - Remove polish from bonnet & apply Wax
4 - Remove polish from door, apply wax to door, then remove wax from bonnet
5 - move onto another panel of polish etc... working my way around the car

So basically whilst i wait for the wax to dry i apply and remove from another panel, giving 10 mins or so before i buff off...

I wonder am i not leaving it on long enough :?: :?:

Stoo

Whining.....
You dont need to wait for polish to dry to buff off.

The clue is in its name, polish.
You are polishing the lacquer with an abrasive substance, you can wipe it off straight away.

As for the wax, I find the longer you leave it, the harder it is to remove, so i leave it for a few minutes to cure then buff off, but put 3 or 4 layers on for an even finish

Marpol

Advanced Member
I bought my HD wax from the Autoglym stand at a show.

The Autoglym guys said the longer you leave it the better the results but I also found it harder to remove the longer you leave it!

Gives you a good workout anyway! :lol:

rascal69

Advanced Member
As saud the longer left the better end results.
Gives it time to bond to surface.
Does go really hard and takes double the time to remove.
What I do is apply a even, thin coat to full car. Leave for 15-20 mins and then remove.
Do that twice.

DANCTR

if you're getting marks like that you're using too much of it, try and minimise the amount you use and also keep the applicator pad moist (hur hur hur). Thats the way I was told by the Autoglym guys to use it at a show when I bought some. I've had the same kind of marks before when I've put too much on.

ladykb

Advanced Member
thanks boys :D , if i polished and waxed 3 weeks ago, should i strip it and start again or can i wash and wax over the top?

Thanks

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
I think the problem here is that your applying a second coat on top of a uncured coat of wax. Realistically you need to leave wax for around 24 hours after you buff off for it to harden (time does vary but 24 is being on the very safe side).

Seems to me that this is the one occasion that you need to be less enthusiastic :xlol:

ladykb

Advanced Member
Coldfuse said:
I think the problem here is that your applying a second coat on top of a uncured coat of wax. Realistically you need to leave wax for around 24 hours after you buff off for it to harden (time does vary but 24 is being on the very safe side).
:
Hi I have never waxed my car with 2 coats, i do a coat of polish then a coat of wax.

Stoo

Whining.....
ladykb said:
Coldfuse said:
:
Hi I have never waxed my car with 2 coats, i do a coat of polish then a coat of wax.
You don't 'coat' with polish...
Polish is a cutting compound of varying degrees.

Polishing will invariably remove the wax you have on the car anyway.

ladykb

Advanced Member
Now I am really confused lol :D

So I polish with AG Super Resin, it says apply with applicator and let dry to haze and buff off...... so i do that!

Then

I apply a coat of AG High Def Wax, leave for say 10 minutes and buff off..... its after the wax is buffed off i get the oily marks. I only put on 1 coat of wax...

So whats wrong, (forget the polish) im referring to after the waxing

Thanks

jay82

Advanced Member
ladykb said:
Now I am really confused lol :D

So I polish with AG Super Resin, it says apply with applicator and let dry to haze and buff off...... so i do that!

Then

I apply a coat of AG High Def Wax, leave for say 10 minutes and buff off..... its after the wax is buffed off i get the oily marks. I only put on 1 coat of wax...

So whats wrong, (forget the polish) im referring to after the waxing

Thanks
if your waxing the car there should be no need to use the super resin, the high def wax should be enough, then prob polish after a month or so. but i'd try use something eles rather than the super resin as it's very dusty, but it is up to you what you want to use

sinbad

Advanced Member
A polish is like a liquid sandpaper so basically its polishinhg the surface but you do not want to leave it on the car so it needs buffing off. So in essence you are not "coating" the car in it.

Wax wise your putting a "coat" on as your leaving a layer of wax on the car, this layer acts as a boundary of sealing in the paint and protecting the car from salt, water etc..
The longer you leave your wax the better the coat it will provide. But you also want it even and not too thick as it can give the car a bad finish "look", hence why you need to buff it up to get rid of the extra uneven wax so you get a nice clean finish.
personally as my car is CW i leave it on as long as possible, im more interested in the protection it gives than the finish it provides. Newer more sophistacated waxes and sealants are able to give a good finish AND a good protection. In fact most current waxes can do this just that some are better in certain areas than others and it comes down to personal preference.

ladykb

Advanced Member
thanks so why the oily marks am i simply putting too much on in 1 coat :xconfused:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
ladykb said:
thanks so why the oily marks am i simply putting too much on in 1 coat :xconfused:
Dont use AutoGlym wax, pure and simple, always found that stuff hard to remove, no way near as easy as Megs. 8)

Sometimes the instructions say how long you leave it on the car, normally it's either a panel at a time or do the whole car, let dry and wipe off.

Rob R

Advanced Member
I'd say you're putting too much on. As for the amount of time to leave it on, I say go round and wax your whole car and then start it taking it off in the order your applied it to your panels, should give you 10-15 minutes if you're applying a decent coat then.