How much for a car?

bignige

Hi

Just joined. Looking to buy a DC5 on a limited budget of £6k which I see from looking on the web will get me a 100K'ish mileage car.

How many miles are the engines good for?

I have read the excellent buyers guide and will be using that when I buy a car!

Thanks,

BN

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
I was always advised condition over miles when buying mine, rust around arches is important, 6k is not much but not impossible but I doubt it will get you a good example even with 100k on it, probably a good one but more like 120+.

I have been advised that these can go on for well passed 120+ as long as they are well maintained and have always been well maintained! That's why I'm looking after mine as best as poss as it is on 99k but very tidy.

I'm sure there will be someone of more help than me along soon!

Good luck though and keep us posted!

badeshi

Advanced Member
My car has 115000 is on and runs very nicely I used to have an ep3 with 136k and that ran great.
I wouldnt worry about miles as much as overall condition. They are all quite old now and although parts are available it could be more of a mission than a more common car.
I would look for rust around rear arches and avoid any major modifications unless they are what you are looking for.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jrscho

Advanced Member
As long as it's been maintained properly, always had its oil change etc they can be bullet proof... So just make sure it has a good service history! My cars roughly 120k mark now and that's with the charger.. *Touch wood* now I've said something lol

bignige

Thanks everyone. Just in case - lol - I had a look at the cost of an exchange engine and only found one advertised for around £3K - but have also found a friend of a friend who had an Integra and he fitted a new engine in a day as it is apparently straightforward.

The things I read I need to look for are:

1. Issues engaging 2nd gear
2. Seat bolster damage
3. Water in the boot
4. Rust on wheel arches.
5. Mayonnaise-like substance around oil cap...

Anything else?

BN

bignige

jrscho said:
As long as it's been maintained properly, always had its oil change etc they can be bullet proof... So just make sure it has a good service history! My cars roughly 120k mark now and that's with the charger.. *Touch wood* now I've said something lol
A pal of mine with an EP3 Civic who is car mad and very knowledgeable says with correct oil and regular maintenance they are good for 200k.

n

mikeyw85

We, in this country, worry way too much about mileage. Problems can strike at virtually any time or mileage, so don't worry about it so much.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I just paid less than £5k for a 2001 with 66k miles, has GM, exhaust, KPro and some other goodies. Does need a good clean and bringing back on the road.

bignige

mikeyw85 said:
We, in this country, worry way too much about mileage. Problems can strike at virtually any time or mileage, so don't worry about it so much.
Funny you should say that. A mechanic was telling me a few weeks back that a low mileage unserviced car can be more trouble than a high mileage one that has FSH and been cherished.

I am pleased to read all these comments and will try and get the best one I can with the money I have - at the end of the day it's always going to be a risk with a car of the age that they are.

bignige

Also just noticed looking through some ads that most cars are advertised as a 'mix of km and miles' as they are imported so the 'mileage' is not going to be accurate is it?

N

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
bignige said:
Also just noticed looking through some ads that most cars are advertised as a 'mix of km and miles' as they are imported so the 'mileage' is not going to be accurate is it?

N
It depends if it was converted by the importer or not.

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
You can go for something cheap if your willing to spend a lot of time / money on making it good, depending on how you want it to be, but if your just wanting it to be a good example, there is usually a reason why they are going cheap, the one you posted just outside your budget does look ok tho!

Dazaturbo

Advanced Member
To be honest your better off buying something like a ep3 at that money

Your 99% of the time better off not buying the cheapest car of the model you want imo

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
WraithPriest said:
I'm sure I remember seeing this on the for sale page on Facebook, and I'm pretty sure almost all the interior has been stripped.
The ad states he can put the interior back in.