How much is it worth? K-tuned shifter box and cables.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
kazmo said:
i cant see the race cables making anything feel tighter, they only pull the linkage backwards and forwards
i am led to believe , the link ends are a little different with less play and the cable itself is heavier duty so the small slop is reduced hence the reported tighter feeling, BUT personally i havent seen them both side by side.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I'm in the Nottinghamshire area mate. As said I've just purchased a oem shifter and oem cables. So I'll fit the shifter box first and see how I get on. Failing that the cables.
If I find out it's just the cables I'll be keeping the shifter box.
I'm hoping not!

Yes a lot of people have said to me. The feeling of a freshly built box is super nice. But very pricey! Could be a clutch issue. But I'd imagine all gears to feel like it. I'll try all the cheaper things first!
It's not a daily anyway so doesn't bother me too much. But I will go out for a blast most nights and weekends!

Will do gordon

Could possibly just even be the cables then. I'll keep you all posted with my findings once my oem parts are here and fitted

Justin

kazmo

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
i am led to believe , the link ends are a little different with less play and the cable itself is heavier duty so the small slop is reduced hence the reported tighter feeling, BUT personally i havent seen them both side by side.
they have the solid bush built in from what i understand, i cant see them being any harder to move inside the cable outer sleeve though..... so no reason for the cable to make for a tight gear change..??hmm

jrscho

Advanced Member
I've had my k tuned shifter for a good for months now and I have to say it is one of the best things I have bought for my car so far! Also have the MTEC spring fitted ontop. It is very tight and you do need to proper use some muscle to shift but you get use to that and I love the shifter now! Tight gears is better than a sloppy one shifter.

Before that was a buddyclub shifter fitted, that was alright. Slightly sloppy. wouldn't go back to that now after my k tuned. The shifter won't affect going into gears or anything, it just gives you a better shifting feel overall. And the fact you have new shifter cables It will improve it even more. I'm going to get race spec cables and I can't wait! I would say it's probably your synchros. Common fault, my car is sometimes hard to get into gears when it's cold but it's fine when warmed up. If anything it's actually easier to get into gears now than when I had my buddyclub!

But I guess no harm in swapping to Oem to try if you work on your car yourself..

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Second being hard to engage when cold will just be amplified with this kit as there is no "feel" as it were....its either in or out of gear which is what makes it so direct but until warm I imagine it would be a pig. I was talking to Davidpingu about this when he fitted his hybrid racing one. So precise and on the money it made it crunch when changing he said into second when cold as he couldn't feather it in. It just goes in! Lol

Gearbox oil may help but you will probably prefer an OEM unit, with a tegiwa shortshift. Thats very nice feeling gear change. Everyone is different. :)
Are you sure Dave wasn't talking about something else James!? lol

spooke

Advanced Member
I've recently fitted K-Tuned's Pivot Ball and Spring, its made a huge difference to the feel - its how I imagine it was new, much tighter and seems to have made my 2nd gear easier to get in when cold - although it still crunches sometimes :)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
kazmo said:
they have the solid bush built in from what i understand, i cant see them being any harder to move inside the cable outer sleeve though..... so no reason for the cable to make for a tight gear change..??hmm
when the tolerances of the ends is higher and theres no flexible bushings any slop in the system will be reduced so the shifts will feel more precice, in some peoples minds tighter, the cable inside the sleeve is higher quality and lower friction.